Awake

Quackity's POV

"Wilbur?" I rasped, wondering if I needed glasses. "Y-You're awake?" The words felt foreign on my tongue, like I didn't understand what they meant.

Wilbur slowly shifted his eyes to my stunned face and to my wide, tear-filled eyes. "Q?" he whispered. "Is tha' you?" he slurred, drowsy after waking up. After a moment, he blinked and seemed to realize what was happening. "Q?" he asked, trying to sit up.

"You're awake..." I breathed. "You're awake..." I finally grasped the meaning of those words. "You're awake!" I gasped. "Wilbur!"

I stood up so fast the chair fell down with a crash and I pulled Wilbur into an embrace, tears blurring my eyesight. "Wilbur..." I whispered. "Are you actually awake?"

Wilbur chuckled. "Guess so."

The knot that had been in my stomach for days finally uncoiled and I broke down, relief and shock lingering as tears streamed down my face.

"You're awake... you're actually awake..." I sobbed, gripping fistfuls of the back of Wilbur's hospital gown. "You're awake!" I cried out. "Big Q, are you OK?" Wilbur asked, concerned. 

I released him and hungrily devoured his face, taking in the small, caring frown carved into his lips, his chocolate eyes, the way he held himself. I grabbed his wrists. "You have no idea how scared I was for you..." I wailed. "I was so scared you'd die..."

Wilbur squeezed my wrists as I looked down at his fragile ones. "Quackity, I'm fine now," he said gently while I wept, tears staining my pants. "Quackity," Wilbur said firmly but not unkindly. "Look at me, Quackity."

I lifted my dark brown eyes to his own. He smiled. "I'm fine now. See? I'm awake."

I attempted to speak. "I-I don't b-b'lieve i-it. You're a-awake," I choked out. "Aft-After 11 d-days."

Wilbur's smile faltered. "I was here for 11 days?" he asked. "Was I in a coma or something?" I shakily nodded. "You w-were," I sniffled. "Please don't tell me you stayed here the whole time?" Wilbur said.

"I did," I admitted, starting to calm down. Wilbur started to speak, but then Dr. Fay entered and nearly dropped the clipboard in her hand. "Goodness," she gasped. "Mr. Gold is awake!" She ushered me out, saying, "I need to do a checkup. Please leave."

I sat down on the chair outside. I let a few tears fall out of my eyes. This time I was shedding tears of joy, not of torment, pain and anxiety.

Wilbur's POV

"Wilbur?" Quackity rasped. "Y-You're awake?" Still drowsy, I slurred, "Q? Is that you?" in a whisper.

Then I realized what was happening.

I blinked, trying to make sense of the situation. One minute I was falling through a portal, the next I'm next to a distraught Quackity.

Quackity broke down and sobbed. I was dazed, but I managed to understand what he said through his cracking voice.

I'd apparently been in the hospital for 11 days. "Was I in a coma or something?" I inquired. Quackity gave me a shaky nod, trying to suppress tears. "You w-were," he stammered. I gawked. "Please don't tell me you stayed here the whole time?" I asked.

"I did."

Before I could respond properly, a doctor with blonde hair and striking green eyes entered. "Goodness," she gasped. "Mr. Gold is awake!" She quickly asked Quackity to exit and she did some checkups. Did I feel nauseous? Is my body in pain? I answered no to each question until she asked me, "Did you experience any strong emotion before you fell unconscious?"