Flowers And Smoke

George's POV

Quackity flew up into the sky, wings beating in a steady pace. Sapnap and Karl started to watch Quackity, awed. I clapped, yelling words of encouragement. Karl joined in, and soon Sapnap did as well.

Dream grinned and yelled, "Don't die!" while looking at Quackity in amazement.

Quackity started doing loop-de-loops in the sky, flying in circles until he skidded to a stop mid-air. He gazed down and saw me waving madly at him. He stuck his tongue out at me and I pouted, going off to find Dream, who was under a tree.

"Hey," I greeted, plopping myself down beside my best friend.

"Hey," Dream answered, tilting his head back so his hair was flattened against the cool bark of the tree. I twisted my body around and placed my palm on the tree. It was rough, chunks of wood missing here and there.

The laughter of Tubbo and Tommy as they climbed another tree faded. I closed my eyes, and there was nothing but me and the tree, unjudging and a pillar of support.

My palm and fingers started to feel tingly, so I forced myself to snap out of it and yank my hand away.

I turned around and saw Dream watching me, a little smile on his face. His eyes widened and he looked away quickly, blushing as I laughed. "Don't worry, you can stare," I said. "You're my best friend; you've earned some leeway."

Dream shrugged, a hint of red still on his face. "I guess."

We sat under the tree in a comfortable silence. I picked up a twig from the ground and twirled it around in my fingers. Dream shuffled closer to me, rested his head on my shoulder.

My heart leaped. I hoped Dream couldn't see the flush on my cheeks, the little giddy grin on my lips. 

Dream stood up abruptly, the heat of his skin lingering on my shoulder and clutching onto my shirt. "Follow me. I wanna show you something."

He took off between two trees and I walked quickly to keep up with his strides. My cat ears pricked up when I heard the sound of dripping. Dream abruptly stopped and looked around. I finally managed to stand beside him, curling my tail around his wrist, a flare of protectiveness surging up in me. Who knows how many dangers were there in the forest or lurking between the trees...

He glanced at my tail, twined around his wrist and smiled, stepping closer to me so I wouldn't feel threatened. "Don't worry, George. Just relax."

My tail's grip on his wrist lessened. Dream's hand squeezed mine briefly before he let go and went past another tree and stopped at the front of a mossy boulder. Wait... the green (I knew it was green because it looked like piss yellow) on the grey was too straight, shooting straight down to the grassy floor. The supposed moss felt rough and barky, unlike real moss, which was soft and damp to the touch.

Dream swept an arm out and stuck it through the middle of the vines and drew them to the side, the vines parting like a curtain. "Many people assume it's moss," he explained as he stepped back, his arm still holding the vines back. "After you."

I stepped through nature's curtain and my cat ears were filled with the sound of trickling water, getting louder and louder as I went further into the cave. I saw something in front of me and stopped in my tracks, gasping softly with amazement. Behind me, Dream chuckled.

The narrow cave had widened into a natural room, and someone had added furniture in. Wooden chairs were tucked around a wooden table in one corner, drawer in another corner. A small tear in the cave allowed sunlight to creep in and shine in the middle of the room, where a carpet of moss had grown, a natural carpet. A river ran right through the cave and disappeared into a hole in the cave wall.