Wings?

Quackity's POV

My eyes squinted against the dim light coming from the lamp stood on the hotel table. Rubbing my eyes, my other hand fumbled for my violently ringing phone on the drawer on the side of the bed.

I answered Karl's call and wearily said, "What the fuck do you mean by calling at-" my eyes flicked up to the time displayed on the hotel alarm- "At four in the morning?"

"I woke up an hour ago with two bumps on my back and I think they're wings but I'm not sure and it can't be because nothing happened yesterday on my birthday, then I decided to call you because you'd know if they were wings, what am I going to do, please help-" Karl started rambling, frantic.

"OK, I'll be there in fifteen minutes, keep calm, alright?" I assured. "I'm on my way." I hung up and got out of bed, shivering at the coldness of the floor.

Wilbur shifted in his sleep, an arm reaching out to where I lay moments before and waking up when he didn't find me to pull close to himself. "Wha-? Quackity?" he murmured, sitting up. His loose shirt dipped to the side, showing off his collarbones. "What're you doing?"

"Karl needs help," I simply replied, tossing on a jacket to shield myself from the chill of the night. "I'm going with you," Wilbur immediately said, throwing the blanket off him and standing up.

"No, you can sleep," I tried to say, raising my hands. "Too bad, because I'm up. And the moment I get out of bed, I can't fall back asleep, so I might as well follow you."

I rolled my eyes, but I was secretly happy that he was going to be with me.

When we reached Dream's house, the lights in Sapnap's room were turned on and shining bright. I could make out two distinct figures shadowed by the glow of buttery yellow light.

As I rang the doorbell, the lights in Dream and George's bedroom flickered on. "He's here!" Karl called, opening the door. Behind him was Sapnap by the sofa. Dream and George were by the stairs, sleepy and annoyed with the interruption. Their fingers were locked together, George's tail protectively curled around Dream.

"Hey, Quackity- oh, Wilbur's here too?" Karl tilted his head, looking at me with a knowing smirk. 

I scowled at Karl and said, "Wilbur insisted. Anyway, what was the problem about two bumps?"

"Alright, can we go up to Sapnap's room? Then you can check my back," Karl sighed at the promise of help as he trudged upstairs. As Wilbur started vaguely explaining what was happening to an irritated Dream and George, Sapnap muttered in my ear, "Thank goodness you came. Karl was practically about to tear his hair out in anxiety."

When we reached the room and closed the door, Karl waved a hand and said, "You can lift up my shirt to check."

I gingerly used a hand to lift up Karl's shirt at the back and my eyes immediately saw the two bumps right under his shoulder blades. They were thin, rectangular slits softened out into ovals by the soft skin.

"They're wings," I reported.

After a few moments of silence, Karl exclaimed, "WHAT? BUT- but they didn't appear yesterday!"

"Wings take time to grow," I smiled, remembering my own shock when I felt two bumps on my back the day after my birthday. I had panicked and instinctively called Wilbur, who quickly calmed me down enough to go to a clinic and get it checked out.

"So... I guess I'm getting wings," Karl said, shocked. His shock quickly turned into elation. "I'm going to be have wings!"

"Yeah, you are!" I followed his enthusiasm. "We'll get you to the clinic later today. Go sleep."