Chapter 16: Sunsets

Caroline

**

This was ridiculous. This was madness. This...this was everything she could wish for.

She laughed quietly, carrying her skirt as Phineas squeezed her hand, running and huffing as they made their way to the Hogsmeade Express. She had shrunk her suitcase filled with necessities into the pocket of her robes, the shine of the simple solitaire ring Phineas gave glinting under the sunset sky.

"Two tickets to London, please," she heard him ask the house elf at the ticket counter. The elf smiled, handing over the tickets as they stood at the platform, the white snowy peaks of mountains beyond betraying the chill of the air. She giggled as he spun her, dancing to the crickets and his humming as they waited to be the last boarders of the last train of the day on the Hogwarts Express.

"I love you," he whispered as he held her close, humming.

"And I love you," she beamed, pressing soft kisses on his jaw before he captured her lips in a loving kiss.

They were running— just them. Just Caroline and Phineas. They would make a new name, a new family in the new world. And they would be happy. He stared at her longingly, caressing her face as though she was the most important person to him in the world. She loved him, she never thought that this moment would ever come— the chains that bound her to her family had grown heavier the last few months without reprieve. And despite the haste of their relationship, she could not see herself happier with anyone else.

The train ride to London was quick, the setting sun streaming through the windows casting a rainbow of colors as they faded into the night sky.

"Will you miss it?" She heard him as she leaned back into his embrace on the floor of the compartment, taking her attention off the rolling clouds outside the window to peer up at him.

"Miss what?" She smiled, the soft touch of his fingers playing with the ring he gave her.

It was beautiful, the way his fingers wove with hers, as thought it was the perfect fit.

"Hogwarts, your family, friends?" Phineas asked nervously.

She pulled back to turn and cup his face, "I'll miss them but the ones that matter will understand. I love you more, Phineas— I want to share this life with you."

They would—she knew they would. Her mama was a romantic despite Caroline's own struggling relationship with her father. Imelda would be prodding her for the gossip and details as they sailed across the ocean. And Ominis would understand... he would be happy for her more than anyone. She would miss their chats the most, resolving to invite Garreth and Ominis over to visit once they were wed.

He would understand.

Phineas look comforted by her answer as he kissed the tips of each of her fingers, laughing, "What shall we call ourselves? Smith? Flynn?"

She was smiled—they could call themselves anything and all that would matter was being together.

He would understand.

They ran down the streets of London, hands clutched tightly and in display of the world, earning disapproving glares from the Muggles as Phineas bought their one-way tickets to the large docked vessel, waiting for them.

He would understand.

"Caroline... I love you," Phineas confessed for the hundredth time that night—the last day, really. And she could not get tired of the way her name fell from his lips like a plea with the promise of his love to give her for all eternity.