When the Sun Loves the Moon

Sebastian

**

"It's about our engagement... and us...." He paused in his reading as he peered up at Caroline's worried eyes. There was fear and sadness etched in her face as she reached to take out a scroll and hand it to him. His brows furrowed as he opened the parchment between them.

In accordance with the Terms and Provisions written forth by the Council, I, Victor Rookwood, hereby pledge my first daughter's hand in marriage to a reputable candidate, Isle born, and pure of blood.

"Why are you showing me this?" he asked.

"Because—" her lip quivered as she fought to keep his gaze— her eyes becoming glassy. There was a cold dread that filled him at the anguish etched on her face.

"No," Sebastian said as he stood, walking over to kneel before her. "Put those thoughts out of your mind, now."

"Sebastian..." she groaned, "Please..."

"I think I can guess exactly what you're going to say," he bit out.

"Please," she was shaking as she looked at him, "I'm trying to be honest with you."

"Caroline—"

She gave his hands a squeeze, "There isn't much time left and knowing you'll be working with my brother or Marvolo forcing his hand, I need—"

"No—"

"I need you to know that whatever happens—"

"No—"

"Whatever happens—I will find some way to make sure you're happy and cared for and loved."

"No—"

"I know working with my brother and my family's business is trying—"

"No—" he stood, turning to pace around the room as her voice and steps followed after him.

"I know you must have your limits," she cried after him, "But I can't—"

"Can't what?" he shouted, his voice echoing around the room.

"I can't let you keep working with Vincent," she shouted.

"That doesn't matter to me," he shouted, blinking back the tears, "Why should it matter to you?"

"I'm just trying to make sure you're going to be alright," she shook her head, "I'm trying to find..."

"Find what? An out?" he laughed bitterly as he stared at her trailing off. His blood ran cold at her silence and her teary face as her lip quivered.

"I—That's not the entirety...not really—"

"Not really?" he grit his teeth, "Can you really not stand being with me?"

"That is the furthest thing from my thoughts! I just don't want you unhappy!" she shouted, her voice breaking as she stepped closer, "The prospect of me being with you for the rest of my days isn't what's deterring me. It's knowing your subsequent returns home will only break you further!"

"I'm not..." Sebastian turned away from her—he couldn't deny that there was a part of him unhappy with the work involved but he was happy with her. Wasn't that enough? The fireplace crackling in the background as a chasm of silence fell between them Vincent's words ringing in his ears, 'She'll worry constantly'. She was enough for him—couldn't he be enough for her? He shook his head, the usual comfort of a library full of books feeling overwhelming and confining in that given moment. He clenched his hands as he gave her one last look over his shoulder before he headed towards the doors.