Ch 56 When Ignorance Was Bliss

Ominis

*

The moment between sleep and wakefulness was always the hardest to shake. Most mornings since he came to Hogwarts, Ominis was very happy to remain in bed for an extended lie-in. And the few times his nightmares took him, he pushed—blinking his eyes and straining his ears to push the weight off his chest.

He fought against the cloud of sleep, intending to grab the two items beside his bed to aid in calming his mind after such a night—his wand and more recently, the book from Aunt Noctua's travels.

'Once upon a time...'

Straining, Ominis repeated the words with each second and beat of his heart. Waking to a hopeful day was one thing. But waking after such horrors could only be chased away by the promise of fairy tales. Aunt Noctua's fairy tales specifically.

'Once upon a time...'—he thought, his grip circling his wand—the familiar tingle warm and comforting.

"Ominis..."

Freezing at the sound of the deep voice of Sebastian beside his bed, Ominis grunted upon waking, surprise sending heat through him at the sound of Sebastian's apology.

"I'm sorry..."

*

A frown found its way on Ominis' lips, one he was grateful Sebastian couldn't see, as he led him down the sandy path to the place he called home from the connected Floo Network. It was quiet—the rolling waves of the sea and rustle of tall grass from the gentle wind tickling and welcoming. But though the sounds and smells of Tinworth would normally calm and ease his heart, he felt anxious.

This was not the comfortable quiet he had come to know and love in the Slytherin common. Not the calm he remembered during the late nights they spent sitting side by side just reading.

Ominis was a selfish cad—he concluded, his eyes narrowing as he fought to tamp down the well of guilt building.

When 'I'm sorry...' had woken Ominis the following morning after their jaunt at The Cardinal, he was unsure what to do besides lie there in stillness. Sebastian's words were wrapped in sincerity and remorse when his hand reached through tangled sheets across his bed and met soft waves of hair. And Ominis' chest and cheeks heated when the apology spilled again from his lips—earnest and quiet.

It wasn't as though Sebastian had never apologized—but this one had felt different. And so, Ominis could only clear his throat, trying to grasp at words to chastise him before his heart begrudgingly decided to forgive him for all of it.

But where words should have found their way to reproach and forgive him—he, instead, brokered a sort of payment as an apology for all the emotional toll Sebastian caused. Despite Ominis feeling a tinge of regret at the anguish in Sebastian's voice at his repeated apologies, Ominis could not help the demand that fell from his lips.

"Spend summer with me at Tinworth," Ominis said, grateful for the coolness beneath his shirt, "Not the entire summer obviously—just the first half... before the Solstice."

It was both a jest and hope, Ominis surmising that Sebastian would likely refuse—intending to spend his entire summer trekking to St. Mungo's to spend time with Anne. But he was surprised and thrilled to hear the easy 'yes' from Sebastian.

No stutter, no pause—just a yes.

Sebastian had chosen 'him'.

"Tobbs of course, could use the extra hands," Ominis coughed, trying to shrug off his excitement, "And Aunt Noctua will likely welcome more company."