Chapter 58 Whispers

Disclaimer:

Sebastian Sallow remains dutifully "innocent" in this chapter-- despite his whereabouts and whatnot.

I personally have no issues with pleasure districts-- or forms of adult entertainment. I think people in such professions are just that-- people: who have feelings, goals, interests, and a range of personalities. It can be fun for them, or a means to empower and fund themselves through school.

But no... Sebastian is not deflowered in this chapter (out of the gutter mind there, lovely reader).

~~~***~~~

Sebastian

~~~***~~~

Relief clawed and coursed through him as he leaned on the wooden door in the corridor. He could hear the soft, muffled voices of Caroline and her family inside her room. It had been days since he arrived, clutching her tightly, begging her silently to open her eyes again.

Everything will be alright—Caroline's mother promised her with each visit.

So engulfed in his worries, Sebastian couldn't utter the same words. He kept hearing them—the whispers, pity, condolences. Every morning and night, he strolled to her room. He prayed her eyes would open. He apologized for the mess he brought her into.

Poor soul. Poor soul.

He didn't move, and could barely eat, or sleep.

I don't think she's got much longer. Poor dear. Poor soul.

Fear seeped into his skin each night he fell asleep. The memory of the healers prying her from his arms haunted him as he called for her.

And now—he thought with a shudder as he sank to the floor—she was back. And he did not know how to face her.

~~~***~~~

"Heard the young miss was awake," Antonio leaned against the doorway, "Why don't you finish early and run to her?"

'You're going to ruin her.'

Sebastian shook his head. He flipped through the invoices on Vincent's desk. "She should be with her family now." And we're much too busy here."

"I'm sure the boss man will understand—you are the young missus' intended, after all."

Gritting his teeth, Sebastian didn't chance a look at Antonio. He feared what the older man might glean from his eyes. He thought himself a coward, a horrible person—someone who had failed...

'You're going to ruin her.'

His eyes scanned the same line over and over as he read—he needed to compose himself. He needed to ensure that he could look at her properly. To tell her everything would be alright.

Needed to tell her that he could never ruin her.

~~~***~~~

'Pity for the family—such a beautiful child.'

'Beautiful? Ha! You should hear what they say about his—'

'Hush! Don't you be inviting curses here!'

He tried to ignore them as he walked Ominis to the floo network, keeping his voice jovial with his rambling.

Whispers.

Between the hushed tones, the traded rumors, and gossip lay truth among the muddled words. They were delicious secrets told behind hands, behind stalls, and behind doors. He didn't know how Ominis dealt with it— how he could keep his brows from knitting or shouting at them. They didn't know him—didn't know what he endured and carried because of his family.