For Better or Worse

Caroline

**

"Melly," she grimaced as the girl pulled her hair back to tie it out of place as they stood near the clock tower gate waiting for everyone's arrival, "That's not very gentle."

"Good—a reminder for you not to be gentle with your opponents. Or Sallow for that matter," the other girl huffed as she surveyed her with a look.

"Please, Melly— not today," Caroline pleaded with a pout. She hadn't even come to terms with whatever new feelings she haddiscussing them with Ominis was one thing. But to voice them out with Imelda? It was akin to being dropped from a broom high above the pitch. The other girl snorted as she crossed her arms, "Fine, fine! I honestly don't care what you do with Sallow— just return my chaser in one piece, would you? The final game is coming up."

She laughed and shook her head adjusting the cuffs of her blouse and spotting Sebastian's familiar gait as he strolled through the doors with Ominis and Garreth in tow. Caroline waved to their three friends as she fell into step with Sebastian as they walked towards Lucan, the sounds of chattering and betting students surrounding them.

She could have scoffed in amusement at the roster they were set against—

Samantha Dale and Andrew Larson

Violet McDowell and Leander Prewett

Charlotte Morrison and Everett Clopton

She stifled a laugh as she stood to the side with Sebastian as the first two pairs were set to duel.

"Ironic all your would-be suitors are here to duel," Sebastian narrowed his eyes as he watched Samantha and Andrew dodge around each other to cast their spells against Violet and Leander.

"I could say the same for your would-be interests?" She laughed, grimacing as Andrew sent Leander crashing through a suit of armor.

"What?"

"Hmm?" She looked at his confused stare with a quirk of her brow as Samantha sent Violet screaming off with a shear of the girl's hair.

"Winners— Dale and Larson!" Lucan yelled gesturing for Caroline and Sebastian to step forward before Charlotte and Everett. She returned the enthusiastic wave of Everett as he recognized her, ignoring her partner's piercing stare.

"What do you mean my interests?" Sebastian whispered at Lucan's shout of ready.

Was he serious? The glaring confusion she received almost made her trip over her boots at the sound of Lucan's set screaming in the background, "What do I mean? You're joking right?"

He had her poised behind him— a smart move considering she was hardly as experienced in dueling. But she was ready to set him on fire herself at the utter lack of his own preservation as he stood with his back to their opponents, wand certainly not at the ready as Lucan's wand began to rise to set of a spark for go.

"What do you mean my interests?" He asked again with narrowed eyes and a frown, Lucan's wand sparking and sending her to run towards her currently distracted partner to cast a hasty shield around them.

"Can this wait? We're in the middle of a duel," She yelled as she tried to hold the shield steady around them. The furrow of his brows and grumble did little to divert his attention from her.

"No," he said slowly with a roll of his eyes and flick of his wand behind him— sending Everett flipping ungraciously to smash on the gate, "What do you mean my interests?"

"Oh! For Merlin's—" she swished her wand to transfigure several pieces of rubble into a group of mice to climb and run along Charlotte's form, prompting the girl to toss her wand in shock and run out the courtyard, the sound of laughter and cheers following her. Caroline sighed, pulling him aside before the final round with Samantha and Andrew, the cross of his arms and furrow of his brows clear indicators he was simply not just letting this go.