Chapter 17: An Audience and Plans

Ominis

**

Family was a double-edged sword— filled with expectations and a decided notion one's place in life, at least in Ominis' case. He had already been a failure at birth, his blindness seen as a faulty reflection of his future contributions to the Gaunt name regardless of whether he was of any age to display any sort of accomplishments.

Nevertheless, family was the foundation of core beliefs. At least it had been...for almost seventeen years...

Sebastian had placed the anti-unlocking charm again on their door before he left Ominis to pace in their room. Caroline's disheveled form lay in Sebastian's bed, tucked underneath his covers— the sound of her soft, steady breathing the only indication of her deep sleep. He was also supposed to be resting while Sebastian went to fetch Garreth for him. But resting would not quell the anxiety of everything that occurred.

Tessie the house elf was flitting around the room, popping away only to return immediately after with the sound of potion bottles and food— shoving them in Ominis' hands in an attempt to alleviate his worries. "Mistress Cecilia says that food always cures all ailments." He smiled at the thought— Caroline's mother had always seemed a kind woman. A true mother who loved her daughter unconditionally, unlike his. It was this likely kindness that Caroline inherited from her mother—and it showed.

Because she had chosen him.

She had no reason to choose him; in the grand scheme of life, he was a Gaunt and she was a Rookwood. And though there existed a possibility that their families would merge into one, Ominis hoped for her sake that it would not. He pushed her to find another way, to sever any ties that could bind them. He had been filled with relief and joy that she found that dream with Phineas.

Ominis sighed as he sat at the edge of the bed, his fingers twitching to reach out to make sure she was still there. Despite his insistence to her to choose Phineas, he was still in shock. No one...no one had ever chosen him before. He was not his family's favorite, nor a keeper if experience with his summer lovers were any indication, and Sebastian had always chosen his own selfish wants and needs. Ominis was simply used to it. But his breath had caught at the sound of her voice as she uttered his name from her lips— confident and sure.

He would have understood— she knew that.

Yet she still chose him— a feat even his own family could not do. Why? When he had abandoned her in fifth year in favor of taking Sebastian's side. They had only reconnected and he was still making amends. His lip quivered as he thought, a gnawing part of his mind had resigned itself on that cold floor to accept any consequence to ensure she had a happy life, including death.

When? When did he begin to wish Caroline was his family instead?

It was likely when she sat, uncomplaining through his struggles when he had feelings for Sebastian. Or her encouragement at accepting the invitation of being part of the Weasley clan—because Miranda Weasley's excitement for her brother, Garreth and Ominis was much too happy not to share with the rest of their family. She pushed him to want more and seek more than his own family allowed him. And it was the way she continued to want the best for anyone, for Anne, despite her own conflicts with Sebastian.

The knob turned as he jolted at the sound, a faint smell of earl grey and lavender floating in.

"Ominis, Sebastian's told me everything," he heard Garreth's worried voice and the thud of his footsteps cross the room to engulf him in a hug.

He didn't deserve this.

Not when Caroline had seemingly lost of a chance to be with someone she loved. This was selfish of him— to clutch against Garreth's chest as he let out shuddering sobs, basking in the comfort of his soothing words and the circles of his hands on his back.