The Passage of Time

Ominis

**

How odd it was— that before seventh year, there were hardly any moments in life when Ominis wished that time stood still. Because time was relative— a construct and measure of the movement and passage of life. It was a marker of one's past, present, and future. To him, time served only one purpose— to move forward to another day, another moment, and hopefully another present.

In matters of the past, there were very few seconds Ominis could stand being in the Gaunt household let alone stop time to relish in them. No— the Gaunts were staunchly rooted in the past; their ideals taking hold as chains for future generations.

Ominis liked it better to enjoy the present, its ever presence a reminder of what little joys he did have. Such joys being in the company of the Sallow twins and Caroline had always been a blessing in the uncertain future he had written before him by his family. And it was because of his family that he feared the future—he imagined that a future as a Gaunt heir was rife with longing, sadness, and bitterness. Happiness for a Gaunt could only be attained by severely adherence to family ideals—to relish in inflicting their own pain and misery upon those less fortunate and less than. Because why find and allow themselves happiness when they could take another's?

They were... creative in taking someone's happiness. Facilitating heartbreaks between couples or ruining families by taking a mother or father—the Gaunts sought to take hope, however fleeting and small from those that crossed them.

And that future to Ominis had always seemed bleak and dark.

That was... until he met Garreth Weasley. Garreth looked forward to the future. He did not dwell in the past; because for him, the past mattered not when there were new ventures to be had— better and more improved.  And as days and weeks passed with Garreth at his side, the uncertainty of the future felt more comforting and brighter.

**

"You want to go where?" Ominis asked incredulously, his brows rising as he sat up in Garreth's creaky bed in Gryffindor dorms.

"The Americas!" Garreth sighed wistfully, his body shifting to sit up and take Ominis' hands in his, "A new place with new adventures! I heard they've got these muggle inventors tinkering with contraptions. Can you imagine how bright the future would be, there?"

"Yes..." Ominis said slowly, his voice faltering—he hadn't thought of what would happen after Hogwarts, always suspecting he would be called back to the Gaunt estate soon to take over business duties as Marvolo's assistant. Dwelling on the thought brought a pang to his chest as he thought of his uncertain future with Garreth.

"Oh—and you're coming too," Garreth laughed, pulling him close much to his surprise.

"I am?" Ominis sputtered.

"Of course," Garreth kissed him softly as he cupped his face, "Because I love you."

Ominis' face heated at his confession—surely, he didn't mean that?! His mouth opened and closed, unsure what to say as his palms became clammy at his utter silence.

"You don't have to say anything, Ominis—not unless you're ready and mean it," Garreth laughed softly against his lips, "I'm a patient man. And you are worth waiting for."

"America..." Ominis sighed, a smile etching its way onto his lips, "And you'll be there?"

"I promise... I'll be there every step of the way, you'll be bound to get sick of me."

"You?" Ominis laughed, laying his head on Garreth's shoulders, "Never. Not in the deepest part of my heart, Garreth Weasley."

**