A Good Man Is Hard To Find

Sebastian

**

'Sebby, you can't seriously think she's the girl for you.'

He would be lying if he said he wasn't grateful for Caroline's willingness to be patient. He was trying to muster the courage to tell her everything, but the words were always seemingly caught in his throat.  It didn't help when she was always there each time he returned from a day with Vincent to his room. He would come back each night to a warm plate, a hot tea kettle ready, and Caroline dozing in his bed of all places.

Tonight, was no different as he returned back to the dorms after a long day. It had not been as messy as other days—Antonio was giving him some slight reprieve by taking inventory of all the materials in the docks and central building. He thought that a warm shower was enough welcome but was happy to see Caroline's form tucked comfortably underneath his covers.

"Sorry, did I wake you?" had become his new phrase as she stirred from beneath his sheets.

She blinked blearily, sitting up with a warm smile, "Apologies not necessary. I am, after all, the one stealing your bed."

"I see that," he laughed as he sat beside her, toweling off his hair, "Was Ominis' not good enough?" He peered over his shoulder at the empty bed across the room. It appeared that the youngest Gaunt retired to Garreth Weasley's quarters that night.

"It's more like a habit at this point," she pouted, giving him a pointed stare, "But I suppose if you're that adamant about me not being in your bed..."

She made to hop off the other side before he caught her hand, pulling her back in a shriek of giggles. There was a time Sebastian thought her unwelcome in his bed, but he would be lying if he said he didn't enjoy the scent of gardenias on his pillows and sheets. Even more so when she was currently sprawled on his sheets, trying to catch her breath from her laughter, in one of those forsaken nightdresses of hers, and her hair splayed messily around her.

"You could stay," he said softly as he looked down upon her, "I can transfigure my chair into a settee or bed to sleep in." There was always an odd disquiet when he slept alone—no sound of Ominis' snores or breathing. Even he, welcomed Garreth's mumbles during his occasional stay. But to be alone in a room? It was an invite for his darker thoughts.

"You? Transfigure?" she bit her cheek to stem her laughter. Cheeky minx, he thought as the narrow of his brows only sent her in a fit of laughter—he was trying to be a gentleman here despite his lack of skill in Transfiguration.

"Fine... there's always Ominis' bed. I can take his and you can stay here," he sighed, standing to stretch.

"Hmm, yes," she mumbled, her hand reaching to grasp his as he made to amble across room, "Or—you could share with me."

Sebastian was infinitely glad he was turned away from her, the heat rising to his cheeks sending his blood to rush south. There were certainly options—he doubted Ominis or Garreth would care if he slept in their bed and Caroline could certainly return to hers— and yet here she was offering to share his own with him. He was willing his head to clear as he turned to fix her with a stare—the pout on her lips and flutter of her eyes calling him over. The words were caught in his throat as he gave a soft nod before slowly slipping under the covers beside her.

He stared at her green eyes, his fingers twitching to stroke her hair. "Are you cold?" he asked as he felt her shiver next to him—the fireplace in their room was still roaring, a soft warmth emitting around the cold that hung in the Slytherin rooms.

"I'll manage—it takes some getting used to before falling asleep," she laughed, "Why? Are you offering?"

"Would you take it?" he asked, watching as a soft blush crept to her cheeks before she moved closer, the warmth of her hand reaching to stroke his hair.