Love Is...

Ominis

**

Love was perhaps one of the most powerful and mysterious magics Ominis had ever known. And like the gods and goddesses of old— Gaunts were not absolved from the reaches of love. It was a poison set to attach and drive one mad with an intense longing that could be felt deep within their soul. To love meant to hang themselves before the world, before someone, as they bore witness to their ultimate weakness. It was a feeling foreign to members of their household and yet it never failed to catch, its embrace like an addictive siren song.

For many, once the fleeting touches of love took hold, it was a feeling hard to let go.

The first of Ominis' loves began in an unusual place, during the well anticipated event of obtaining his new wand. He had been nervous on that floor, could feel the judging eyes of his mother as Gerbold Ollivander handed him wand after wand and box after box to find the perfect fit. The wands had barely remained in his grip before flying out in a hurry, as though they were disgusted and frightened by his touch.

**

"Hmm, I've a good number more in the cellar below," Mr. Ollivander pondered, humming as he placed yet another wand in its box to tuck on a high shelf, "Garrick! Be a good lad and fetch me a few boxes, will you?"

Ominis didn't know what was worse in that moment—the fact that his mother was ready to burst into steam at his 'incompetence' or knowing that Mr. Ollivander's son, a current student at Hogwarts, was bearing witness to his own humiliation.

What if he told someone? What if he became the laughingstock of Hogwarts before he even stepped foot through its gates?

"Don't worry, you'll get it," The pad of footsteps hurried as the voice of Garrick Ollivander approached him, "Here you are—try this one."

Time had stood still as he reached for the grip, Ominis' whole world vibrating as everything whispered to him. He could feel the slightest details around him, the chill of the air around the fingertips that hovered near the wand, the warmth more than comforting as his hand twitched.

"Amazing, isn't it?"

Amazing hardly scratched the surface—Ominis could glean some semblance of the things around him; where they were, their shape without the use of his hands.

**

He would stammer seeing the older student in the halls and would often make the excuse of being lost in the hopes of running into him. Though Garrick Ollivander was kind and helpful, he was not to be—focused and intent in following the footsteps of his father. There were other loves in Ominis' life but none that lasted significantly or more than a summer.

But when it came to a deeper attachment and love, it was second year when he realized—upon meeting Caroline for the first time—just how utterly he adored Sebastian. He thought her ridiculous at first, a rival of sorts regardless how much she and Sebastian bickered with each other. She had a charm to her—one that drew Sebastian's attention despite his silent denial.

And despite Caroline's strongly proclaimed immunity to his Sallow charm throughout the years following Sebastian's newfound interest in girls, there was a deep seated and silent jealousy that clung to Ominis' heart. He was mildly happy, ecstatic at the start of fifth year to have Sebastian all to himself—it had been a silent wish. There, at the bottom steps of the common room amidst the argument between Caroline and Sebastian, Ominis held tight to a possible love—to a bit of happiness and fulfillment of longing he thought could be his and only his.

He thought he could have Sebastian all for himself, he thought he could bring him from the brink, he thought love meant never letting go. But he was wrong—he found himself yet again in the shadows of another, the new transfer, hearing and being witness to their love. It struck hard when he realized he was not Sebastian's exception and when he realized Sebastian could never be his and his alone.