Part 35

Khushi felt someone tucking a hair strand behind her ear. She lazily pulled the quilt more comfortably on her, murmuring .

Khushi: Di.... Sone do na.. umm...

The person sitting next to her didn't speak a word .. He just kept watching her , admiring her. So this is how she looks every early morning ? Hair messed up and face little swollen?

Khushi even in her half sleep, took few second to register where she was .. She opened her eyes and saw Arnav Singh Raizada sitting on the bed next to her. She immediately jerked and sat away from him. He smirked waiting for Khushi to realise what relationship they shared now..

Khushi ( rubbing her eyes): Aa.. aa.. aap? ( she stammered)
Arnav: Ha..aaa.. aan ( he purposely stammered).. Main.. Who else do you expect to come in our bedroom?

BEDROOM? She quickly scanned the room and then remembered their conversation from previous night.

Khushi: Aap.. aap kab aye? ( When.. when did you came?)
Arnav picked the tray with a cup of coffee and placed it on bed. He started putting some sugar in the cup and stirring it.
Arnav: Late night.. when you were sleeping on OUR BED!! ( he glanced again at her to see her reactions)
Khushi nervously looked at the bed where they were sitting..
Khushi: I .. I slept here?
Arnav: ( passing her the coffee mug): You are still here!! ( he reminded)
Khushi gulped in tension taking the coffee mug from him.
Arnav: I am glad you decided to share this room with me.
Khushi: Share? Nahi.. Wohh. I .. I was just sitting here.. thinking.. and.. I dozed off .. may be.

Ohh!! So this is what happened? She unknowingly slept in his room, trying to make a decision whether they should share this room or not? He didnt like it.

Khushi : But.. where.. where did you sleep? ( she desperately wanted to know)

He walked to the side closet and opened it, only to pick a bottle of alcohol. She quickly got down the bed.

Khushi: Boliye na.. ( Tell me )
Arnav: Beside you ( he replied )..

Before she could even analyse what he meant he pointed at the direction of the floor beside the bed where he had actually slept the whole night in that drunk state..

Arnav: there.. ( he pointed)

Khushi took a sigh of relief. He opened the bottle and was about to gulp the drink, she stopped him.

Arnav: what the!! ( he screamed in frustration)
Khushi: What the nahi.. Pag Phere. !!
Arnav: Phere? didnt we take something similar yesterday?
Khushi: That is different.. Today's ritual is different.. I will have to go back to my house and..
Arnav ( interrupting in an angered tone) :You are not going anywhere..!!
Khushi: Its just a matter few hours..
Arnav: No KHUSHI.. ( he stressed on her name gesturing how much serious he was in this terms)
Khushi was perplexed.. She never thought he would deny for this simple ritual.

Khushi ( muttered but loud enough for him to hear): I am also so stupid... How will you understand the importance of all these rituals.. You never had any elder member in your life to brief you about those..

Arnav kept the bottle aside and turned her around to face him.

Arnav: This blackmailing is not gonna work. So dont even try. We have a grand reception party today evening.. I cant afford you to be late.. But if you have to meet your family, then let me remind you they are also invited.
Khushi: When we have fulfilled all the rituals so well, why to skip this one? I wont be late.. My family has already prepared for today's ritual and if I dont go, they will be unhappy.

Arnav could read the truth in her eyes. He knew she wasnt making any excuse , this reason of ritual was genuine.
Arnav: Fine. Take the car. But I want you back before 05:00 pm. I will spend my time with this by then.. ( he waved the alcohol bottle.)
Khushi: Is it necessary? Aaj humaari shaadi ka reception hai.. What if you.?
Arnav ( stepping towards her): What if I?

She didnt utter further .. may be he wont like it..

Arnav: ( looking at her face): I am used to this Khushi.. And under no circumstance anyone can snatch this away from me.. Not even you.

His mobile started ringing. He chose not to be attentive towards it, he was going to throw his phone on the bed for coming in between his and Khushi's conversation, but the displayed name of the caller, diverted his mind. He walked out at the poolside. Khushi dropped her face thinking there was a lot more changes she had to get in his thoughts and feelings, without which this marriage and her role in his life will never get importance. Today was the start of a new life for her, she cannot waste it arguing with him. And most importantly she first needs to get out of this Lehnga.. It was so heavy..

She was about to get in the bathroom, when she saw a glance of Arnav who looked disturbed while speaking over the phone. Whose call was it? Anyone important? She slowly stood at the French door to check if she can hear anything.

Arnav: (On call): I dont need your wishes .. And next time dont call me again on this number.

He disconnected the call and turned around. Khushi quickly was going to run away from there not willing to get caught by him but she was late. He had seen her..

Arnav: STOP!! ( he commanded)

Khushi closed her eyes in fear.. She stopped and waited till he reached her.

Arnav: I dont like eavesdropping.
Khushi( gulped): Sorry... But I saw you little tensed so...
Arnav: You have only one hour Khushi.. Leave to Gupta house before I change my mind. ( he didnt seem to be in a good mood now )

1 hour? That was very less for a newly wed bride to get ready. She had to hurry up. She held her Lehnga and rushed to the bathroom.

When she came out Arnav Singh Raizada was bowled seeing his bride in a fancy Peacock blue and green combination saree. The light make up on her face, a slight different hair style unlike before, and the grace she carried wearin g that Sindoor and Mangalsutra was simply out of the world. How much changed an Indian woman looks after she gets married ..!! Sometimes when he thinks of his father, he doubts how come his father never found an Indian woman to marry?But then he was aware of the so called love story his Indian Father and American Mother had which didnt last for long though!!

Khushi neatened her saree pleats and then gave a final look at herself in the mirror. Arnav was on the verge of making some important calls but his wife's beauty, her charm mesmerized him so much that he almost forgot everything. Khushi answered her ringing phone.

Khushi: Haan Akash Bhaiyaa.. I am leaving now.. Will reach in few minutes.. ( she paused and then looked at Arnav once who was still starring at her).. Woh.. Woh nahi aayenge!! ( He cant come)..

Arnav had paid enough attention to her by now, he should be concentrating on his work before he again gets frustrates with the fact that though she was his wife now, they shared a very restricted bond. She finished her talks and then rushed downstairs without even saying a good bye to him. He followed her and was surprised seeing her going straight in the kitchen. She started looking around as if finding something, she opened the refrigerator and found some beer bottles and tins safely preserved. She made a typical face and turned around only to notice Arnav Singh Raizada standing right before her nose.

Arnav: Didnt I ask you to leave?

Khushi: I know. But Nani told me about another ritual which I need to complete before going for my Pag Phera.
Arnav: Which is ?
Khushi: As a new bride, I am suppose to cook something sweet in my sasuraal and feed my family here. They in return should be blessing me and gifting me anything.. not necessary anything valuable.
Arnav: I am diabetic which means no sweets allowed for me. There is no family here who can gift you either. So opt this ritual out and leave for Gupta house.
Khushi: But..

The intercom of his kitchen rang again which he answered unwillingly. Seemed like he got some unexpected news over it.

Khushi: Is everything okay?
Arnav gathered some thoughts and then held her hand.
Arnav: You should leave.

She was totally surprised at his behaviour. He made her sit in the car and asked the driver to drop her safe at Gupta House. The driver took his seat and slowly drove towards the gate, she was still trying to understand what suddenly happened to him. Why did he look so much in hurry to drop her out? Suddenly she saw another car passing in and what caught her breathe was that, Sheetal, his EX girlfriend was seated inside. What was she doing here? And was she the reason that Arnavji hurried her out of the house? Whatever it was , she will have to find it out. Afterall she was his wife now. She had full rights to know what was happening in her husband's life.

***************

The Gupta's greeted her happily as she entered in her own house. She really missed them all, even if only few hours she had been away from them. The first thing Anjali asked her was if she was fine and if Arnav Singh Raizada was treating her well. This question was tricky for Khushi to answer. Their relationship had just started, how can she reply anything so soon? She cannot forget that conversation they had last night over sharing the room. Arnav Singh Raizada by no regards is ever going to accept that. But she also liked the fact that in the morning, he didnt speak a word about it. What is that suppose to mean? Has he accepted her condition? She hoped Yes..

Anjali: Khushi, I asked you something.
Khushi: Sorry Di. But its too early to answer that. At the moment, everything is great.
Nani: Did you step in your kitchen and cook anything?
Khushi: No Nani. He said its not required. And he is diabetic. He hates sweets.
Nani: Never mind. Come inside. Lets finish the rituals.

They took Khushi inside. Nani had called Lavanya too but from past few days, there was a lot of ongoing tension in Akash and Lavanya's relationship which was known to everyone in the family.
Akash and Lavanya's relationship which was known to everyone in the family. After lots of attention from each and every member of the family, Khushi finally got some time to check what her husband was doing. But should she just call him directly? Until she could decide, Anjali took her for Lunch inside with the family which again kept her busy. The clock was ticking. It was finally 04:00 pm and Khushi remembered the warning her husband had given. She had to be home sharp by 05:00. She started winding up her conversation with the family and asked them to attend the Reception party.

Akash: The whole staff is invited. He has even declared a bonus to all his employees.
Anjali: Show off. ( she muttered with no interest)
Shyam: Look at the positive side of this. It shows how much happy he is with this wedding.
Anjali: Why wouldnt he be happy He finally got what he wanted.
Khushi: Di.. Please... Lets not discuss all this now. I will wait for you at the party. I want my family to stand beside me.
Nani: And we wont disappoint you Khushi.

Khushi leaned down and took Nani's blessings who later kissed her forehead.

Nani: Take care of yourself.
Khushi: I will. Bye.

She hurried back to the car. She could not wait to reach Raizada house before 05:00. Its just that she doesnt want to give Arnav Singh Raizada a chance to get angry on her for such silly reasons. And not to forget, she also had to check why Sheetal had come to meet him.

***************

Raizada House

When she entered the house, she was greeted by some famous fashion designers who worked for her husband. Arnavji was not around.

Khushi: Hello..
Designer: Maam.. We are here to get you ready for the reception tonight.
Khushi: Uhh..Where is my husband?
Designer: Sir is out for some important work. He will be reaching the Venue directly.

Khushi was startled. He was not at home? Why? Where was he?

Designer: Maam, we just have 2 hours to get you ready, Shall we start?
Khushi unwillingly noded.
Designer: This will be the Saree for you tonight.. And these pearls to match your attire.

Khushi looked at the jewels. They were expensive.

Khushi: Give me a moment please.

She moved aside to make a quick call to Arnav Singh Raizada and check where he was. She dialed his number and he received her call within few rings. Before she could speak anything, he gave her the next instructions.

Arnav: The Designers will assist you in getting ready. I will see you at the Venue. Might be late.
Khushi : Late? But..
Arnav: You will be fine Khushi.. Handle the guests till I reach.
Khushi: Handle? But how will I handle?
Arnav: You are not a kid anymore. You are Arnav Singh Raizada's wife. So Act like one. Bye.

The call was disconnected, she fumed in anger at his commands. What does he think? In one day she will start understanding everything? What was she supposed to do now? She had no choice than to go with the flow.