sbm

Emmet makes a bad first impression. The Avengers make a worse one.
Ingo finds a lost girl in the dark and offers a hand.

Notes:
This fic is inspired by pointvee's post on tumblr here.

Heey, you may notice the "ableist language" in my tags. That mostly exists because frankly, the MCU (and a lot of comics in general) just aren't really great with enemies who are noticeably neurodivergent in any way. And by that, I mean they're generally pretty rude and insulting about it in their 'battle banter.' Fair warning! It'll get better!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text
The first sign of what lay ahead, though no one would realize it for quite some time, would be the flickering of lights in Stark Tower.

Not long and it didn’t happen again, but certainly noticeable for a building that runs entirely on yet to be fully explored as a new energy source, the Arc Reactor.

After a news segment ran on the incident, many promises from the CEO (former and current) that it would never happen again, a few checks on the wiring...the flickering would be forgotten.

Leaving the residents unaware of the many small yellow spiders, alien to this dimension, now happily stuffing themselves on this new source of electric power.

The next sign was the shaking of certain subway tunnels. Not more than usual, and certainly not noticeable for those using the subways themselves.

The shifting of Rock and Ground Pokemon, as they noticed new avenues to travel. Pathways opening up to strange new grounds.

Subways of both New York City and Nimbasa suffered this situation, at the same time.

Not that either reality would know it.

Not until the last sign.

The last sign took the form of a shredding of space, a pop in the air near the edge of a tunnel. A gateway between two very different worlds.

One side of this new rift noticed nothing, still getting used to a world where superheroes and aliens coming from the sky could almost be seen as a possibility. Certainly not prepared for a sudden interdimensional rift deep underground.

On the other...

“This is verrry interesting.” A gloved hand lifts a lantern higher, to examine the shimmering blue tear. “Wouldn’t you say so, brother?”

“It looks different than such did in Hisui, but similar enough to that rift in the sky. That blue...” A frown becomes more pronounced. “Something must be done before the damage worsens and threatens the main lines.”

“Agreed.”

Barely two weeks since the Chitauri attacked, since Loki got away with the Tesseract, and there’s already something else needing to be done.

Why wouldn’t there be?

Steve Rogers is almost grateful for it. Because having something to do with the rest of the Avengers means he doesn’t have to stop long enough to think.

(His world is gone.)

“Hey, Capsicle? Hello?”

Tony. In his Iron Man suit. Right.

Steve shakes his head. “What is it?”

“Checking in. Seeing if you’re still there.” The gold mask tilts off to the side, eyelights bright in the dimness of their current location.