l

“Really, it’s not like that. I just know how to get by” Light said to Mai as they walked out of school. Light came to a sudden stop, his eyes widening slightly at the hunched figure sitting barefoot on one of the benches. It was Ryuzaki and he spotted Light and Mai.

“Oh, hey Light” he waved “How’s it going?”

Light couldn’t look him in the eye. Ever since his realisation he had no idea how to react. He’d never had a crush on anyone before, much less a guy. And for it to be Ryuzaki of all people was not helping at all. Light coughed awkwardly “I’ll see you tomorrow Mai. I need to talk with him alone”

“Oh?” she asked looking between them confused “Ohh...” she smiled knowingly “No problem. See you tomorrow” Light walked towards Ryuzaki ignoring her look of knowing. He hoped he wasn’t as obvious to Ryuzaki as he was to Mai.

“I hope she wasn’t disappointed” Ryuzaki commented at Mai's retreating form

“Never mind that. Are you sure it’s safe for you to be here? I thought you said you wouldn’t go out in public” He must have found something. He wouldn’t risk himself so freely if it wasn’t a matter of life and death.

“I did. But I figured if your not Kira then I should be safe. Besides, you’re the only one here who knows my true identity. So in the likely event that I’ll die in the next few days I’ve instructed Headquarters to assume that you are Kira”

Light's body went cold. Crap. He suspects me again. That's no surprise really, I’m literally the only suspect he has. And with no evidence to say otherwise it makes sense for him to suspect me. Still, knowing he doesn’t trust me... That kind of hurts.

“Mr Yagami” another voice called. Both turned to see who was calling “You left your book behind in class today. Please remember them next time”

Light took the blue notebook “Thanks Mr Mikami. Sorry about that. My head’s all over the place lately” he glanced at Ryuzaki “By the way this is my friend, Hideki Ryuga”

“Ah yes. It’s a pity you’ve never come to class” Mikami commented with a pointed look towards Ryuzaki “After your entrance scores it seems such a waste”

“I’ve been busy” responded Ryuzaki in a dull voice now standing from the bench

Well this is going swimmingly. Light thought sarcastically

“Teru! There you are!” another voice shouted, this one female and high pitched. A blonde young woman dressed head to toe in black ran towards them all but throwing herself at Mikami. “I had a photoshoot nearby and I just couldn’t help but come by and see you” What the hell? Misa you idiot! Mikami thought furiously. “Oh, who’s this? Oh I already know. You’re Light Yagami! My Teru always says what a great student you are!” she grinned “So glad we finally got to meet Light”

Light blinked shocked “Uh, nice to meet you too...”

“And this must be a friend of yours. He’s so different and unique” she left Mikami's side and walked closer to Ryuzaki “I’m Misa Armane. I’m Teru Mikami's girlfriend. What’s your name?”
Ryuzaki answered “I’m Hideki Ryuga”

Misa paused peaking at his name and life span. It was different that the one he just gave her. But that’s not... Is he...?

Noticing her reaction, Mikami came to the same realisation. His mask slipped for a moment and he glared point blank at Ryuzaki with all the hatred he could muster. It’s him. He’s L. I can’t believe he would dare stand so close my God! That undeserving little devil! His put his mask back up before anyone noticed. There was no need to show such emotions so close to his God.