tobiram

You did something.”

Kotomi let’s out a confused, forceful puff of air as she walks into the house. Izuna lounges across the floor as if he’s a house cat. The stove is boiling. Knowing Izuna’s cooking ability, she hopes that he’s watching it. Last time he tried to boil water for soba, and he had forgotten to A, add the soba, and B, turn off the stove. The water on the stove had evaporated, and then the pot had cracked. The worst thing was that Izuna had actually been watching it, as if waiting for something magical to happen.

“Because,” Izuna draws out, “you’ve got a stick of dango in your mouth, and an extra box on your hip. Who’re you begging forgiveness from this time?”

Oh come on! She hasn’t even existed in this world long enough to have recognisable habits! It’s only been around two months! Perhaps Izuna recognises this from the past Kotomi; if there even was a past her, she has no idea how this world works or has worked.

She bites off the last bit of dango and faces Izuna with a thoroughly disgruntled expression. “I agreed with Tobirama on some idea about the Hyuuga compound. I don’t know if Madara’s still gonna be upset, so...”

Izuna chuckles.

There’s a large cracking noise from the boiling pot. Kotomi glares at him accusingly.

“What?” His chuckles dissolve into a pout, “there’s still water in it this time, I’m refilling it, and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the pot... I’m boiling eggs.”

“Are the eggs supposed to crack?”

Izuna stares at her. “They’re eggs... of course they’re meant to crack.”

Kotomi looks up to the sky. Save her from this man. “I think your eggs are done,” she mumbles absently, still looking for a hint of divine intervention between the slabs of wood that make up the ceiling. Sometimes Izuna is worse than her niece.

Izuna rolls to his feet and stretches his back. He disappears to the kitchen with a hum of acquiesce. A few seconds pass, and then he calls from the kitchen. “Hey Kotomi?”

“Yes?”

“Are eggs meant to be green after you boil them?”

She doesn’t look away from the ceiling. Any moment now.

..

Kotomi ends up cooking again. It’s not a bad thing, because she likes to cook. She’s also — not to butter her own brownie pan — pretty good at it, now that she’s been practicing for the last two months. Kotomi ends up throwing Izuna’s two boiled (massacred) eggs out of the window and into a waiting wheelbarrow of compost. The two eggs make large dents, and while Izuna finds that funny, Kotomi finds it terrifying.