sixty nine

waaaait... i should've made this chapter the smut chapter LOOOL its the 69th one jkdfhjakdf

anyways omg its time to finally end the story 😭 it'll come to a close soon idk its been 10 years ! the epilogue will come out soon after i attempt to tie everything else together.

 to be quite honest, this is the first fanfic i ever made and it's got sooo many flaws. the biggest is my struggle in ending this fanfic. it was originally going to end around chapter 50 with a SAD ending but I caved into the comments and tried to rewrite it into a happy ending. 

so with that out of the way, the ending to this one will probably be weak. FHDJKSHFJK 

-

The first few weeks back inside the walls were surreal. Walking through the corridors of the Survey Corps headquarters felt all the more bizarre. Wooden floors still creaked the same, the scent of damp earth and determination still held in the air, and everyone was still here. Almost everyone. There were a few missing faces and you didn't want to ask anyone for an explanation, you could only assume for the worst. 

So, while you mourned for Sasha, you mourned for those who didn't make it to see you return. And Levi had been so great during it all. While he had been balancing many other responsibilities, he still made the time to tend to you and the children. Which you couldn't have been any more grateful for.

"Levi?" 

He turns his attention towards you with a low hum of acknowledgement. You watch as he carefully tucks the last bit of blanket to snuggle your kids in bed. Farlan and Isabel lie on their backs, soft snores filling the silence that falls around everyone. The windows are slightly ajar, a chill breeze sweeping the curtains away so that the moonlight can kiss your children goodnight.

"I just wanted to say thank you," you say in a hush whisper. "For everything that you've done so far. I know that you're so busy I just wanted to make sure that—"

"(Y/N), you don't have to thank me." Levi is quick to cut you off, his tone as measured as ever. He grabs your hand and rubs his thumb on your skin, it's comforting to the touch. You exhale sharply with a soft smile tugging at the corners of your lips.

You shake your head but you didn't know what to say. He only leads you out of the room. After he carefully shuts the door, so as to not wake your sleeping children, he clears his throat.

"I have something very important to tell you," he says but does not further elaborate. "Follow me."

You follow Levi through a series of hallways that lead outside of the headquarters. The sky is adorned with stars and the moon is full, the crickets sing as if nature itself were their audience. It smells like pine, the air is crisp, much better than the damp air inside the headquarters. So you take a big breath. 

"While you were gone, there were a lot of things I learned." He finally explains, keeping his pace slightly rushed as you follow beside him. "Now that you're back... and with kids—"

"Where are you going with this?" You ponder, nervously. 

The moon still hangs in the sky, casting a silvery glow over his face as he stands by your side, his expression stoic in the moonlight. Without a word, he gestures for you to follow, concluding that it would be much easier to show than explain with words.

Curiousity sparkles in your eyes as you trailed after him, the crunch of gravel and leaves beneath your boots echo through the ambient night. 

Levi leads you away from the heart of the military complex, weaving through the shadows of trees and bushes until the distant glow of lanterns fades away. The path he guides you along was worn, but not by the footsteps of any other; it seemed to be a route less traveled.