Ch.9

Sitting there, my tears still fresh, I was jolted by the sound of the doorbell

Sitting there, my tears still fresh, I was jolted by the sound of the doorbell. My gaze shifted to the entrance, where I found my best friend Hyejin and Mina standing, unexpected yet welcome.

"Hyejin, Mina," I exclaimed, my voice a mix of relief and curiosity. Hyejin immediately began sharing her journey, "I took a cab here, it cost me 200,000 won." My eyes widened at the unexpected expense, and I turned to Mina, who seemed visibly distressed.

Confusion clouded my mind, and I asked, "What's going on?" Their tear-streaked faces and Mina's disheveled appearance told a story of their own. I hurriedly ushered them inside, saying, "Come in."

Leading them into my apartment, I hoped to create a safe space for them to open up about their troubles. Mina, sitting on my couch, muttered through sobs, "Darn bastard." I offered a comforting embrace, hoping to ease their pain.

Hyejin's voice trembled as she recounted the events, "So, you went to his place with groceries, and there was a woman wearing his dress shirt, with her hair parted two to eight?" A mixture of confusion and disbelief must have painted my face as I turned to Mina, waiting for her to continue.

"Turns out, she'd just gotten off a flight; she's a flight attendant," Hyejin added, settling herself on the couch. I looked at Mina, silently urging her to share the rest. "And then?" I prompted, eager to know the whole story.

With a deep sigh, Mina began, "Neither of us had a clue. And then the jerk sneaked in. We both grabbed things from the grocery bags – I had spring onions, and she grabbed the next one in line."

The absurdity of the situation struck me, and I struggled to hold back a chuckle. Hyejin couldn't contain her laughter either, and soon the room was filled with her amusement.

"Couldn't you find something sharper?" I asked, genuinely intrigued by their choice of unconventional weapons. "Believe it or not, the spring onions were the sharpest things around," Mina replied, sending Hyejin into another fit of laughter.

I playfully shot Hyejin a mock glare, my amusement undeniable. Mina then turned her gaze to me, her eyes twinkling with humor. "You're a true friend, letting me mess up my life so spectacularly," she said, a mix of gratitude and exasperation in her voice.

I couldn't help myself – I stood up and gently took Mina's arm. "Let's go, we're heading back to Seoul," I declared, driven by the need to offer my support. Hyejin, concerned, interjected,

"Hey, [name], you should rest. Your allergies..." Her words trailed off as I shook my head with determination. "I'm fine now," I insisted, though Mina's firm grip on my arm suggested otherwise.

"Why? Shouldn't we go confront that jerk?" Mina's voice carried a hint of anger, her emotions raw. But then, her next words surprised me. "Did you already do something to him?" The unexpected question momentarily stunned me, my eyes widening.