Ch.16

As night descended, I sat alone in my room, enveloped in a somber mood, replaying the events of the day in my mind

As night descended, I sat alone in my room, enveloped in a somber mood, replaying the events of the day in my mind. A knock on the door disrupted my thoughts, and I looked up to find Mina holding my phone, displaying Chief Hong's name as the caller.

Later, as I walked near the shore, I spotted him sitting there. For a moment, I hesitated, unsure if I wanted to engage in a conversation with him.

However, circumstances compelled me to approach, and I took a seat beside him. "Why did you call me so late?" I inquired, my voice carrying a hint of frustration.

He directed my attention towards the lights in the distance, posing a question that caught me off guard. "Do you know what those lights are?" he asked, gesturing towards the twinkling lights of fishing boats on the water.

"Who cares," I murmured, my tone tinged with indifference. "Those fishermen might be working hard, but from afar, those boats just look like pretty lights," Chief Hong observed, prompting me to glance at the lights he was referring to.

He continued, sharing a story about Ms. Gam Ri and her connection to squid. Despite her decades-long involvement in cleaning squid, she had not grown tired of it and held a deep affection for these creatures, even if she hadn't eaten them in years. His words caused me to lower my gaze, lost in thought.

"If you're trying to make me feel guilty, stop it," I retorted, my emotions clearly raw. However, Chief Hong had something more to say. "I'll cover the cost of her treatment, but I have a favor to ask. Keep it a secret," he requested, looking at me with a serious expression.

"Tell her it's some other less expensive treatment," he suggested, anticipating my reluctance. I shook my head, unwilling to compromise on my professional ethics. "I can't do that. As a doctor, I have a responsibility to inform my patients about the treatment process," I explained firmly.

His frustration was palpable. "Fine, then just remind me of the total cost, and I'll pay the rest," he conceded. However, I had another idea brewing in my mind. "No, why are you even doing this?" I questioned, perplexed by his persistence. "She doesn't want it," I added.

Chief Hong disagreed, offering his perspective. "No, she just can't accept it because she's spent her entire life being selfless. She doesn't know how to prioritize herself," he countered, his voice laced with a mix of frustration and compassion.

"So, she endures the pain?" I scoffed, unable to wrap my head around her decision. "How selfish of her," I muttered dismissively. Chief Hong reacted strongly to my words, defending her.

"She's not selfish. She's done everything she could to provide for her children. Even now, she doesn't want to burden them. Don't you understand?" he challenged me.

I gazed at him, my resolve firm. "Yes, I understand. But being selfless doesn't justify withholding your suffering from your family. It's not valid to shield them from the reality of your pain," I stated resolutely, my emotions pouring forth.