Ch.36

As I was walking to work, Ms

As I was walking to work, Ms. Yeo called my name. "Dr. Lee, are you up for a coffee?" she inquired. I looked at her and nodded. "That sounds good," I replied. She then proposed, "How about I treat you to some coffee at my restaurant today? It's only a 10-minute walk." I nodded again and followed her to her establishment.

Once inside her restaurant, I took a seat and waited as Ms. Yeo disappeared momentarily. She returned with a cup of black coffee. "It's black coffee. They have all sorts of instant coffee," she informed me. "I see, thank you," I said, taking a sip from the cup.

"Thank you for helping Namsook," she said, catching me off guard. I looked at her with confusion. "I didn't do it because it was for Ms. Cho. It just seemed suspicious," I explained, my gaze shifting downward.

"Has Namsook called to thank you?" she asked, to which I shook my head. "No, I didn't expect her to," I said, my tone slightly resigned. Ms. Yeo's expression turned to disbelief. "Gosh, she really gets on your nerves, doesn't she? She spews a lot of nonsense," she commented.

"She's the type to cause trouble. I know everyone in the neighborhood thinks so," Ms. Yeo continued. Her words confused me, and I looked at her for clarification. "But you all just let it slide? To be honest, she takes it too far. The rumors are annoying, but she really crossed the line when she started interfering with my work," I admitted.

Ms. Yeo looked down, her expression solemn. "How could she get illegal tooth inlays and even persuade others to do so?" I added, frustration seeping into my words. "She thought it would help," Ms. Yeo replied, her voice tinged with sadness.

"Then why does she need to do it for money?" I probed further. Ms. Yeo looked at me before responding, "Namsook used to have a daughter, her name is Aram." Her words triggered a memory, as Namsook had mentioned that name before.

"She was the same age as Juri. After she lost her daughter, she wasn't herself for over a year. She only found herself again after she started making donations in Aram's name to the children's hospital. She's been doing it yearly ever since. Maybe it's because we've seen her wither away. But her being a pain in the butt is better than the alternative. We know it's only because she's lonely. So despite the trouble she causes, I'd rather see her be alright," Ms. Yeo explained, her voice filled with compassion.

Leaving the restaurant, my thoughts were consumed by what Ms. Yeo had shared. I decided to call my dad. He answered with excitement, greeting me as "my princess." I chuckled and expressed how much I missed him. As we talked, I brought up Aram's children's hospital in Congjin.

He confirmed that he was aware of it and mentioned that they donate there annually. Gathering my courage, I made a request. "Dad, before I end this call, can you do me a favor? Can you donate double the amount to that hospital this year? Something just came up." I explained my reason, and he promised to consider it after some thought, ending the call on a positive note.