Ch.10

The following day, I woke up early, determined to face the neighborhood meeting

The following day, I woke up early, determined to face the neighborhood meeting. I dressed up neatly, hoping to make a good impression.

Instead of delving into my personal drama, I opted for a different approach by offering peace offerings in the form of rice cakes. With a bag full of rice cakes in hand, I set out to mend fences.

My first stop was Ms. Yeo's shop. As I walked in, she greeted me with a slight smile. I handed her a rice cake, a small gesture to convey my sincerity. She glanced at it and then at me, her smile growing slightly warmer. It seemed my attempt was acknowledged.

Next, I headed to the hardware store where Bora's father worked. Approaching him, I extended a rice cake, aiming to ease tensions. He looked at me with a touch of surprise before giving a gruff nod.

"Put it on the table in front of me," he instructed, his tone still stern. Following his lead, I placed the rice cake down, hoping that over time, he might warm up to my presence.

From there, I made my way to Bora's mother's shop. I offered her a rice cake, though she seemed hesitant to accept. Her guarded expression indicated that our interactions were far from easy. I left the rice cake on the counter and simply nodded before leaving.

Lastly, I arrived at the café, only to find it closed, which was disappointing. My efforts to offer rice cakes there seemed to have been in vain. Undeterred, I decided to attempt it another time.

Walking back home, I felt a mix of anxiety and hope. While I had taken a step towards making amends with the neighborhood, I knew that true understanding would require time.

Taking a deep breath, I reminded myself that I was on the path to rebuilding trust and bridging the gap that had formed.

Amid these encounters, I noticed the two kids who had caused the commotion earlier. They were now holding a large hedgehog. Despite my initial reluctance, I changed my mind upon hearing Bora's teasing remarks about me being cold-hearted. I accepted the hedgehog and quickly made my way back home.

Sitting there, observing the hedgehog as it explored its new surroundings, I heard Mina's voice as she entered the house. "Money is wonderful. You always get what you pay for," she sarcastically sang. I sighed, and she looked at me, then at the hedgehog in front of me.

"Is that a hedgehog?" she incredulously asked, to which I nodded. "Where did you get it?" she inquired further. A smile formed on my lips as I recounted the story. "It's from my first patient here. He asked me to take care of it for a few days."

Mina couldn't believe it. "Who in this town would ask you for something like that?" she questioned, her disbelief evident. Handing me the mail, she gestured to the pile before my attention was caught by a specific envelope.

"Wedding invitation," Mina gasped, and frustration surged within me. Without hesitation, I muttered a curse under my breath, tore up the invitation, and stormed out of the house, releasing my pent-up emotions in a frustrated scream, "Damn him, that bastard!" The emotions I had suppressed finally found an outlet, and my scream echoed in the open air.