Ch.56

"Here you go," said the cashier as Chief Hong grabbed the bag after I handed over my credit card

"Here you go," said the cashier as Chief Hong grabbed the bag after I handed over my credit card. "Here, I'll pay for that," I offered, but Chief Hong firmly grabbed my wrist to stop me. "No way, I'm buying it for myself," he declared.

"No way, stop being ridiculous. Buying clothes for my boyfriend is included in my bucket list," I said with a smile, looking at the cashier and then at him.

"Besides, it's your birthday soon, consider it my early birthday gift," I added. "Right, my birthday is coming up. Okay, I'll gladly accept it," he said, making me chuckle. He then looked at the cashier and proudly stated, "She's a cool girlfriend, right?" I playfully slapped his shoulder.

"So, where to next?" he asked me. "To eat something delicious," I replied but paused for a moment. "But wait, I need to stop somewhere," I said, and he looked at me, clearly confused.

Now, Chief Hong and I entered a jewelry store, where I had my eye on a particular piece. "Could I take a look at that?" I asked the lady behind the counter, and she nodded, saying, "Of course." She carefully took the necklace from the glass box and presented it to me, leaving me in awe.

"Let me hold that for you," Chief Hong offered, taking my bag as I carefully examined the necklace. I showed it to him while holding it against my neck. "What do you think?" I inquired. "It's pretty. It looks great on you," he complimented, making me smile.

"Does it?" I asked, and he nodded. I quickly turned to the lady and said, "I'll take this." She nodded and said, "I'll check if we have a new one in stock." I agreed and turned back to Chief Hong. "I've been eyeing it for quite some time, you see," I confessed.

"Do you like it very much?" he asked. "Yes, I love everything in this world that is beautiful," I replied. Just then, the woman returned, and Chief Hong was ready to grab his wallet. "There was a new one in stock," she announced, making me excited.

"Really?" I exclaimed, and she nodded, showing me the box. "That would be 5.55 million won. How would you like to pay?" she asked. I reached for my wallet confidently and said, "With this credit card, I will pay in full," surprising Chief Hong, who still looked at me in disbelief.

"It must be a real diamond," he remarked. I furrowed my eyebrows and replied, "Of course, I don't wear fakes."

Chief Hong and I were leisurely strolling through the bustling mall, our goal being to find a suitable restaurant for lunch. Amid the chatter of shoppers and the aroma of various cuisines wafting through the air, an unexpected interruption occurred. A voice called out, "Hong Doo-shik?"

Chief Hong turned at the sound of his name, and our eyes met a man dressed in a sharp black suit. Chief Hong's face brightened with recognition. "Tae Gyeong," he said, and a flood of memories seemed to wash over him. I had a nagging feeling that I'd heard that name before, though I couldn't quite place it.

The two men exchanged warm greetings. "It's really you. Jeez, how long has it been?" Tae Gyeong asked, a mix of surprise and joy in his voice. I stood there, feeling like a bystander caught in the middle of an old reunion, my curiosity growing.