12

"Are you ready for winter formal?" Amanda asked her friends as they sat around in a circle on stage. Genevieve was distracted and looking around the auditorium for any trace of Taylor. She never showed. It had been weeks since she last showed. "Well we're going together obviously." Bryan said as he looked over at Genevieve who was barely paying attention.

"Is everything okay?" He asked. Genevieve snapped her head over to look at him, "Huh?" She asked. "Are you okay? You look distracted." He replied. "Uh yeah. I just have to go see Ms. Clark about something, I'll be right back." She faintly smiled and walked off.

Her friends continued talking about their winter formal plans but Bryan silently watched her walk off. Genevieve found Ms. Clark talking to some students backstage. "Ms. Clark!" She called out. Ms. Clark turned around and softly smiled, "Yes Genevieve?" She asked. "Where's Taylor?" Genevieve asked.

Ms. Clark faintly smiled and walked Genevieve off to a more discreet area. "She talked to me about switching her schedule around so she wouldn't be here during rehearsals. So Mr. Harris and I talked about it and made space for her to help out during some other time."

"She asked to be moved?" Genevieve asked. "Yes. But at least none of you have to worry about any fighting now and you can both work comfortably." Ms. Clark smiled and walked off. Genevieve frowned. They had always gotten into stupid disagreements over the years. But they never stopped talking like this. Even if it was fighting most of the time, Taylor never cut her off this way.

Genevieve made her way back to her friends who were already packed and ready to leave. Bryan waited for her and handed her her backpack. "See ya!" Evan shouted as he and Amanda walked off. "Ready to go?" Bryan asked. Genevieve faintly smiled and nodded.

He put his arm around her shoulders and walked out of the auditorium with her. "I haven't seen Taylor around, is she ditching out on her punishment?" He asked. Genevieve shrugged, "I don't know and I don't care." She mumbled.

"Well did Ms. Clark say anything?" He asked. "Something about switching schedules, I don't know." Genevieve vaguely replied. He nodded and continued walking with her, "I see."

--
Genevieve and Bryan were kissing in his car. It wasn't the same. It all felt wrong. The only pair of lips that felt right on hers were Taylor's. She missed being back in Taylor's arms. In her bed. In her car. She just missed her.

She felt a tear roll down her cheek at the thought and quickly pulled away from Bryan. She turned away and wiped her tears before he could see. "Whats wrong?" He asked. "Nothing." Genevieve faintly smiled and pretended as if everything was okay. "Are you sure?" He asked. Genevieve nodded, "Yeah. I should head inside, I have a lot of stuff I need to prep for and Amanda was going to spend the night so we could get ready together tomorrow."

"So I'll pick you up at 8 tomorrow?" Bryan asked. Genevieve nodded. "I'll see you tomorrow." She replied. Bryan leaned in for a kiss. Genevieve avoided it and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow." She softly smiled and got out of the car. "Yeah..."Bryan sighed and watched her walk off toward her home.

--

Genevieve stared down at her phone contemplating on whether or not she should message Taylor. "So have you figured out how you're styling your hair tomorrow?" Amanda asked. "Not sure yet." Genevieve sighed. "Do you think it's weird that Taylor got moved around so she doesn't have to be at rehearsals with us now?"

Amanda shrugged and sat on the edge of the bed, "Who cares. At least we don't have to see her now." She replied. Genevieve uncomfortably shifted around. Amanda noticed her body language and skeptically stared. "Is there something you want to tell me?" She asked.

"No." Genevieve said as she looked down at her hands. Amanda stared at her for a moment. Her eyes slightly widened, "Were you two a thing?" Amanda asked. "No!" Genevieve replied. Amanda stared at her and shook her head, "You're lying."

"How would you know?" Genevieve questioned. "I've been wondering why the band kids weren't annoying us as much. You also sent me and Evan away so you could have alone time with her that one day." Amanda replied. "Maybe we just don't want to get in trouble and we've been friendly." Genevieve shrugged. "Genevieve." Amanda said giving her friend a look.

"She's been a complete piece of shit to you since freshman year and her fucking band geeks have tortured us for the past 3 years now. How the hell could you possibly like her?" Amanda asked. "She's actually not that bad..." Genevieve quietly replied.

"Not that bad?! She fucked up the costumes for the play you were supposed to finally direct and almost got you expelled, and you still say she isn't bad?" Amanda argued. Genevieve stayed silent. "She's a bad girl, an absolute jerk." Amanda said.

Genevieve frowned and looked away. She didn't want to think of Taylor that way. But she wondered if maybe Amanda was right. "Does Bryan know about this?" Amanda asked. "No." Genevieve replied. Amanda sighed and looked off. She looked back over at Genevieve, "I won't say anything to anyone." Amanda said," But just promise me whatever this stupid little thing was, never happens again. She's bad news Genevieve. Your friends don't like her and neither do your parents. You're like oil and water, you don't mix."

"But-" Genevieve was cut off before she could speak, "You don't...mix." Amanda replied. "You're better with Bryan. He's the quarterback of the football team and loves the theater. What more could you want?"

Genevieve stayed silent and looked away. "Let's get to sleep. We have to get rest and get ready for tomorrow." Amanda said as she got settled in and drifted to sleep.