34

Genevieve interlocked her fingers with Taylor's as they walked and explored the small coastal town together. "So what did you have planned for today, James?" Genevieve asked. "I thought we might have lunch, maybe explore the beach. Is that fine with you, Elizabeth?" Taylor asked. Genevieve softly smiled and looked ahead.

"James, look!" Genevieve excitedly shouted and tugged Taylor along to a small boutique that had hats on display outside. Genevieve looked around at the display of hats. "Hats?" Taylor questioned. Genevieve came across a grey corduroy cap and smiled wide. She approached Taylor and put the cap on her head.

"What are you doing?" Taylor asked. Genevieve smiled and admired Taylor. "I thought James could use a nice cap. I was right." Genevieve smiled. Taylor looked at her confused and looked at herself in the small display mirror. Genevieve was right. The cap suited her well. "Not bad." Taylor smiled. "Told you." Genevieve smiled and paid for the hat. "Thank you!" She said as she grabbed Taylor by the hand and tugged her off.

"You actually bought it?" Taylor asked surprised. "I bought it for James." Genevieve said as they continued walking. Taylor softly smiled to herself and wrapped her arm around Genevieve's shoulders. Genevieve smiled and held Taylor's hand as they continued to walk and explore the rest of the town.

--

Taylor tried to skip rocks on the water while Genevieve sat on the sand and watched the gentle waves make their way to the shore and go back. "Damn it." Taylor mumbled and kept trying to skip the last rocks in her hand. Taylor sighed and looked over at Genevieve.

She noticed her distracted gaze and made her way over. "You okay?" Taylor asked. Genevieve kept staring out at the water as Taylor took a seat next to her. "I think they might get a divorce." Genevieve said. Taylor looked at her confused. Genevieve glanced down at her hands. "They got into an argument over me...again." Genevieve said.

"My mom was always...she's never said anything like that to me before. She's always been tough on me of course but...I just never expected her to say what she did. I don't think my dad did either." Genevieve softly spoke. Taylor silently listened and let Genevieve speak. Genevieve looked back up and stared out at the water. "Sometimes it feels like she tries to live through me. Like I'm not allowed to deviate from the plans she has for me. Like I have to be this perfect daughter, her version of this perfect daughter."

"Why was she upset this time?" Taylor asked. "I don't even know. Bryan? She blamed me for ruining things and blamed me for having that stupid video leak and..." Genevieve got quiet not wanting to repeat the hurtful words her mother said. "My dad kicked her out of the house."

"Was this because I spent the night?" Taylor asked. "I think that was just the thing that set her off. It...it just didn't go well. She's been upset with me ever since she found out I had been seeing you. She wasn't speaking to me for the longest time and when she finally did...it wasn't pretty." Genevieve explained.

"It's been nice to pretend that wasn't reality for the moment." Genevieve faintly smiled. She checked the time on her phone and sighed. "We should get going, They get out in an hour and we still have to drive an hour to get back." Genevieve said as they got up and dusted the sand off their clothes.

They started walking back to the car. Taylor spotted a small flower on the ground and stopped. Genevieve stopped a few steps ahead after realizing Taylor wasn't by her side. She looked around and saw Taylor knelt down on the grass. She walked over and saw Taylor messing with something.

"What are you doing?" Genevieve asked. Taylor looked up at Genevieve and held up a small flower she had looped into a ring. Genevieve stared at it confused. "What's that?" Genevieve asked. "Marry me." Taylor smiled. Genevieve's eyes widened, "What?!" She asked. "Taylor we can't get married we-" Taylor cut Genevieve short.

"I James, am asking Elizabeth...to marry me." Taylor clarified. Genevieve looked at her confused. "Taylor and Genevieve have their life. But James and Elizabeth's life is out here. Even if we have to go back to being Taylor and Genevieve. We can always come back to being James and Elizabeth." Taylor explained.

"So I'm asking...Elizabeth, will you marry me?" Taylor asked. A small smile crept onto Genevieve's lips, "James, you're such an idiot." She replied. "Is that a yes?" Taylor asked. "Yes." Genevieve nodded. Taylor carefully slipped the flower ring onto Genevieve's finger. It was the perfect fit. Taylor stood up with a smile on her face. "So when should we have our wedding?" Taylor jokingly asked. Genevieve rolled her eyes and pulled Taylor in for a kiss.