10

Taylor and August sat on the sand of the beach and watched the waves together. "So what are you into?" Taylor asked as she bit into the muffin in her hand. August hugged her knees and thought for a moment. "I love art." She replied. "What kind?" Taylor asked. "All kinds. I love the theater and music." August smiled.

"Really?" Taylor asked slightly surprised. August nodded. "But I just absolutely love music." She said. "I actually play on my spare time." Taylor replied. "Really?" She asked. Taylor nodded, "I want to be a singer. My music teacher says I have the skill for it. I play guitar and practice all the time."

August smiled, "You play guitar?" She asked impressed. Taylor nodded. "Have you written anything or do you just play?" August asked. "I do both. I actually write quite a bit. I just haven't had anyone to play for lately." Taylor replied. "Why don't you play for me?" August asked. "What? No, I couldn't." Taylor shook her head. She only ever played her songs for Genevieve. But she was off in New York and she didn't play for anyone else.

"Why not? You want to be a singer right?" August asked. "Well yeah." Taylor shrugged. "Then play for me. I'll be like your test audience." August smiled. Taylor thought about it for a moment. "Come on I'd love to hear what that wonderful brain of yours has thought up." August said. Taylor looked over at her and nodded. "I'll bring my guitar next time."

--

Taylor sat on the beach with her guitar on her lap. Her palms were sweaty from the nerves and she was slightly intimidated to be playing for someone new. August noticed how nervous Taylor was and gently placed a reassuring hand on Taylor's. Taylor's eyes immediately looked at August's hand and up at her. August gave her a soft reassuring smile. "It's okay. You're doing fine."

Taylor silently stared at her. It was like she could hear Genevieve's voice speaking through her and giving her reassurance. Taylor nodded and took a deep breath. She positioned her guitar and began to strum the chords to a new song she had been working on. August was absolutely captivated by Taylor's voice and watched her with admiration.

Taylor glanced up at August from her guitar and couldn't help but smile. She stared at her with the same loving gaze Genevieve did when she played for her. August felt a nervous flutter in her stomach when she looked into Taylor's blue eyes and admired the way the sunlight made their beautiful color stand out more. She lightly blushed as Taylor looked back to her guitar and finished playing.

"That's all I have right now." Taylor nervously laughed. "That was impressive." August smiled, "You wrote that yourself?" She asked. Taylor nodded. "But it's nothing. People write all the time." She shrugged. "Not everyone writes as good that." August replied. Taylor blushed and smiled. She nervously scratched the back of her neck and laughed. "Maybe. I don't know." She shrugged. August laughed, "Just take the compliment you were amazing." She said lightly squeezing Taylor's arm. Taylor softly smiled and nodded, "Okay."

--

"Do the dare or take the shot!" One of Genevieve's friends shouted. They were hanging out in her friend's dorm room playing drunken truth or dare. She slipped away while they were all distracted and made her way out into the hallway. She checked her phone. No messages or calls. The last message from Taylor was from earlier this morning telling her to have a good day.

Her messages were getting shorter and her calls were practically nonexistent. She dialed Taylor's number and waited for a response. She slowly paced around waiting for the line to stop ringing and waiting to hear Taylor's voice. She was sent to voicemail again like she had been for the past week.

"Hey. Just calling to check in. Haven't spoken to you in a while." Genevieve paused for a moment. "If there's something wrong can you please just let me know? I don't know if you're mad at me or if I did something I..." Genevieve sighed. "Just call me back. I miss you." She hung up and leaned back against the wall.

"G.G.? What are you doing out here?" Josiah asked. He was standing in the doorway curiously watching Genevieve. She faintly smiled and lifted her phone, "Just taking a phone call." She said. "How was it?" He asked as he shut the door behind him and leaned against the wall with her. "No answer." She replied.

"Then why are you still out here alone? Come back inside." He replied. Genevieve hesitated for a moment. She wanted to go back and pretend everything was fine and just enjoy her time with friends but she was worried. "...or I could keep you company out here." He offered.

"Don't ruin your fun just because I want to sulk." She jokingly replied. "Being with you is always fun. I'll sit and sulk about with you." He said. "And what exactly are you going to sulk about?" She questioned. "Emery took my muffin at lunch today, that's something." He shrugged. Genevieve softly laughed and shook her head.

"That reminds me of the muffins from this little cafe back home." Genevieve said. Josiah turned his head to look at her, "Someone stole your muffin too?" He asked. She laughed and shook her head, "No. I just always loved getting a muffin from there." She replied. "Now I want a muffin." He said making her laugh.

He turned and saw the smile on her lips. "Well that cheered you up." He said. Genevieve turned and smiled at him. "Thanks. I appreciate it." She replied. They stared at each other for a moment. Josiah slowly began to lean in. Genevieve froze and stared down at his lips. She quickly turned her head away. He stopped and awkwardly looked away.

"Sorry. I..." Genevieve tried to find the words to explain that wouldn't hurt his feelings. "Nope. Don't worry about it. I'm a little drunk and misread that entire situation." He said. "Josiah, I'm so sorry. You're great I just-"She said as he cut her off and waved his hand in reassurance. "No, don't worry about it. I'm just gonna go back and give you your space. I'll see you back inside." He said giving a faint smile. "Are you sure?" Genevieve asked. "Genevieve let's not make this any more awkward than it needs to be. I'll live. It's okay." He reassured. Genevieve nodded as he entered back into the room. She checked her phone one last time disappointed that Taylor still hadn't responded and tucked her phone away before going back inside.