The grandma

Angelina's Pov

We all got down from the bus and stretched our legs and hands as it was quite a bit of journey.To my surprise I could see a number of similar looking houses , all painted in white with a beautiful front yard. I looked around to find a mansion, but it was nowhere to be seen.

"David do we have to walk further to reach your grandma house?"

"Grandma?, I thought we are going to a holiday house" George made a face as he didn't like the idea of visiting a grandma house on a holiday.

"George today we are all tired so we are just visiting grandma but there are many surprises waiting for you, tomorrow morning I shall take you for a swim in the nearest beach and then we can go fishing in a lake nearby, you can even do kayaking there and then we can go and visit a huge farm where they would show you how to make real cheese and butter" David assured George and George jumped out of happiness.

"You are the best , I love you " George hugged him and David patted his head.

"You didn't answer my question, where is the mansion, and why are these houses looking similar?"

"Angelina, David's gradma adopted around 25 families who lost their property in Bush fire and famine, some of them are poor migrants, she bought this land and constructed these houses, there is a school and hospital in this area, her main idea is to remove the differences between these people and develop harmony among them"

Now it makes sense , so they all have similar houses and children go to same school so there wouldn't be any differences in opinion amongst them.

"That's a wonderful thought David, I want to meet your grandma"

"Haha, see I told you , you will love her"

"Where is her house then?" George asked looking weirdly at all of the houses.

"Her house is number one!" David guided us along the way and we all followed him, I observed that each house had the same painiting, a beautiful small vegetable patch ,a house number , a beautiful rose garden in the middle and the fence was all covered with cactus plants.

"They all work in a farm area which is few kilometres away from here, the farm has many fruit tress like apples, pears , plums and plants like strawberries, that farm is massive and each and every one of this small village has a job in there"  Don explained as we moved along.

"Mom! Look there is a Kangaroo and a rabbit!, oh peacocks and emus too" George screamed out of excitement as he didn't see animals so close in his life.

"Yes dear, villagers do have such pets, even in my childhood I used to have hens and rabbits as pets at home" I said patting George shoulder.

"Here we are" Don said as we approached Grandma's house.

My heart beat slightly increased as we entered the premises, this house was no different to others, everything was same except for a big lemon tree in the front yard.

"Are you okay?" David whispered in my ear as George and Don went into the house first.

"Yes" I said nervously.

We found a small living area as soon as we entered the house, the house was simple, very very simple, with no much furniture, no flower vases, no paintings, all together a plain empty living area, there was a sofa in the corner with few plastic chairs spread out beside it.

"We have kept all our antique collections in a seperate house, Grandma is unable to maintain them" David said as if reading my thoughts.

In few seconds an old lady wearing a red skirt and a blue cotton shirt appeared before us in a wheelchair, a lady wearing the similar dress was standing behind her.

"Hello Granny, how are you?" David went and hugged the old lady and she couldn't stop smiling while hugging him back. He kissed her forehead and hugged her again.

"How did you get time to meet me, I was surprised when I learnt that you are coming here, dont you have board meetings next week?" Grandma said in a commanding voice.

This is why David didn't like his family!

"All good Grandma I took a break and gave a break to my employees too, No worries Board meeting is a casual one, we have all set for it " he said looking at us "Grandma I want you to meet Angelina and her son George"

Grandma turned towards us and smiled warmly "hello Angelina, hello George" she greeted us.

"Hello Grandma" we both said together.

"Didn't your friend Don come along?" Grandma said changing expression.

"Yeah, he drove us here, but he is afraid to come and see you"

"Why?, am I a monster?, call him"

Soon Don appeared and grandma glared at him "you fool!, why are you hiding from me, don't you know that you should greet elders?"

"Yes I know Granny, I was about to come, but was fascinated to see two kangaroos fighting outside"

"Shut up!,you always have some reason to escape from me, hows everything going on?, I don't even understand why does David have a friend like you, you never get married and never allow my grandson to get married "

" so you mean to say, David doesn't have any girlfriend yet, because of me don't you think its unfare?"

"No!, I am hundred percent sure its because of you, no girl would even dare to talk to him as long as you are beside him"

"Wooo, please both of you, don't start again, Granny I will surely tell you a good news about a girl in my life very soon, please don't Scold Don"

Granny's expression softened suddenly, she looked at me for a second and I gulped.

No!, that's not me!

"Okay I will wait for it"

"Dinner is ready madam" an another lady wearing the same red skirt and blue shirt appeared.

Grandma motioned us with her hands to follow her and we slowly walked into a small dining hall.There was a table with six chairs enough for all us to sit comfortably and have food.The freshly baked food hit our nostrils but we didn't make any sound.George looked at me happily looking at the food and I smiled at him.

Granny asked us to take seat and we all obliged her.

"You all have to wash your hands with lemon water, my friend will bring them to you" Granny announced and suddenly a man appeared with a tray of six bowls carrying lemon water, he skillfully placed them before us and we washed our hands.

Soon the food arrived , me and George looked at it with our jaws dropped as each and every dish looked delicious.Granny only took a salad and nothing else.

There was chicken fry, crab soup, fish fingers, potato salad, egg fried rice and pastries.

"Angelina can you come to my room after dinner, I wish to talk to you personally" Granny said as I was eating my dessert.

"Sure..Granny" I stammered and looked at David.

"Its okay" he mouthed me and I smiled nervously.

I wish everything would be good!