This is life

Angelina's Pov

"Good morning, Angelina," said a familiar voice. I didn't seem astonished when I looked in that way; in fact, I was expecting his return. But when it came to my best friend Peter, I couldn't stop myself.

"Peter!" Looking at the six-foot-tall figure standing before me, I leapt out of joy.

"Oh my God!" . I dashed over to him and gave him a bone-crushing hug. "Thank you for returning."

I pinched his nose and murmured, "It was like hell without you, I missed you so much.""Really?" he said, winking at me. "Looks like you're falling in love with me.""Nah!, Peter boy, only in your dreams," I mocked, holding out my tongue. As he retrieved his blue apron and gloves from his locker, I shook my head in astonishment."Come on Peter, take a break, have a cup of coffee, I'll handle it."
Peter recently returned from a month-long holiday at his hometown yesterday. Apart from Lisa, he is my only best friend from my childhood, and the three of us went to the same high school and college. Until I got married, we were neighbors for a long time. Fortunately, Lisa also lives in the same city as us, and we make it a point to see each other every day. Peter is the chief chef at my cafe and serves as its backbone.

"You didn't answer my question," he grinned as he precisely chopped the onions into small bits.

I remained deafeningly silent, refusing to respond to anything. He noticed me glancing at a picture of Jack on my phone. For the past few years, the photo has been the lone wallpaper on my phone.

I waved my phone in front of Peter's face, saying, "You know I can't fall in love again...his memories haunt me."

He nodded and gave me a sad expression. I tried to blink the tears away.

It's a picture of my late husband Jack, who died in a car accident four years ago. When I close my eyes, the only image that comes to mind is of his lifeless form. He was breathless and emotionless as he slept in that icy coffin. I took over the firm after he died, and with Peter's help, I've been able to run it successfully.
"Hey, are you all right?, I'm sorry, it's fine, it's been four years, and you've had to go on." Peter moved in closer and kissed me on the forehead.

With a smile, I returned his motion. When someone mentions Jack, I find myself speechless.

His memories plague me at all times, whether I'm at home or in a cafe.

This cafe was his dream, and despite the fact that we rented it, he treated it as his own and worked tirelessly to bring it to this point. I'm not sure what kind of online evaluations people normally leave for us, but my cafe is always bustling with clients.

Customers began to arrive at the cafe on a regular basis, and I began taking their orders. Peter has affectionately dubbed the customers "beasts" since they are constantly impatient. Our cafe's coffee, custard tarts, egg and ham sandwiches were popular with the majority of them.

"Hey Peter, you are back, missed your custard tarts man!" a cute girl from the long line came in just as I was about to accept orders. This girl, who is often flirting with Peter, was overjoyed to see him in the cafe after such a long period. She's a regular here, and she's always flirty.

Peter stared down at the floor, blushing like a puppy."Do you want to get custard tarts?" I asked the girl, giggling uncontrollably as I watched Peter blush.She pointed to a boy seated at the corner table and said, "Yeah, two for both of us."

When Peter saw the boy who was more attractive than him, his expression altered instantly.

"F****" Peter believed he was murmuring, but I could definitely hear him. I grimaced at him, but he didn't seem to notice.