Chap.33

Today I was picking Zoe from the airport since I needed to get out of the hospital since the halls and rooms started to blend together like a second home and I don't want to call a hospital home.

I waited by her gate till I saw the flight had landed and people had started flooding out. I stood up and saw her messy bun bobbing up and down from down the little hall. I heard her little squeal as she ran towards me, engulfing me in a hug. She only had one bag which I offered to carry out to the car.

" So how's Connor?" She asked.

" Like a week ago, They said if he wakes up he's going to need definite physical therapy and possible speech therapy." I puffed.

" He's gonna be ok." Zoe said, comforting me.

" When? When will he be ' ok'? After the coma, he's stilling going to have OCD mixed with anxiety and that makes him feel weak and worthless which kills me." i practically yelled.

" Troye, I understand. It's hard on you both, more so on Connor since he feels like a burden, but it is our job to make him feel as normal as possible." She said, taking my hand into hers.

" Im sorry for snapping. It's just.." I said before getting cut off.

" It's ok. I understand." She said, facing forward.

I started driving to the apartment and singing along to Zoe's music. I grabbed her bag and carried it to my room since we didn't have another bed and I hated to put her on the couch.

" So you told me you told Connor's family about all these, but you never told me their reaction." She said, wanting to know.

" They were, of course, upset. They flew out here 2 days ago and I've gotten really close to Nicola." I said smiling.

" It's a shame they finally met you in person under these circumstances." She said sullenly.

" I know. I'm gonna take a shower, but afterwards do you wanna go see Connor?" I asked, knowing the response.

" Yeah, I'll just hangout in here till then." She said, flopping on the bed and taking out her phone.

I turned the handles and hopped in. When the shower head turned on, I stood there and thought and thought and thought. Tears were mixed in with shower water as all the thoughts of Connor came to my mind.

I dried myself off and put on clothes then went out to meet Zoe, who had a smile swept across her face as she talked to someone on the phone, tears at the brim of her eyes. After she was off the phone, she turned around me with tears down her face as they curved around her smile.

" Who was that?" I asked.

" It was tyler." She giggled.

" And? What he say?" I asked.

" He's up." She whispered.

" What?!" I said, knowing it's too good to be true.

" Connor is awake, but.." She said before I cut her off.

" Come on!" I said, grabbing her hand and dragging her all the way to the car.

I started driving, bouncing up and down in my seat while focusing on the lines in front of me.

" Troye, we really need to talk about something." She pleaded.

" Can it wait? I just really want to see Connor." I said with soft eyes.

I ran through the parking lot and to the elevator with Zoe right behind me. I went to his room to see Kate looking at graph's on a clipboard.

I ran to Connor's side and held his hand and he looked over at me without turning his head.

" Connor, Im so glad your ok. God, I've missed you." I said before i kissed him.

He didn't tense up like usually. He didn't kiss back.

" Connor?" I asked.

No reply. He just starred at me.

"Connor?! Why wont he answer?" I asked towards Kate.

" Like I had to explain to your friend Tyler, He is unable to talk or move anything other than his eyes since his brain has been under low activity." She said.

" So is he going to talk or move first?" I asked.

" Your guess is as good as ours. It's not really predictable at this point along with if and when he'll start talking and walking again." she said quietly.

" What do you mean 'if'? " I questioned.

" Sometimes patients from comas don't recover completely." She said quietly.

" Is there any way I can communicate with him?" I asked, getting upset.

" You can ask him yes and no questions. 1 blink yes. 2 blinks no." She said with a smile.

" Hi Connor, you doing good today?"

'Yes'

" Did you hear everything I told you?"

'Yes'

" I met your family."

His eyes widened.

" Don't worry. they were nice and I'm getting close to Nicola. By the way, can I go call her? She is going to be so happy."

'Yes'

" Thanks babe. I'm so happy and proud of you." I said, kissing the top his head.

Zoe had been in the corner the whole time. This was probably what she was going to tell me. She started talking to Connor while I went in the hall. I called her and after 2 rings, she picked up.

" Troye boy, What's up?" She said.

" Nicola, You need to get up here now." I said.

" What happened?" She asked worriedly.

" His eyes are open." I said in awe.

" WHAT?!" She screamed, making me move the phone back.

" He just can't talk or move, but he's up. He's almost there." I said, getting emotional once again.

" Ok. I'm gonna get everyone in the car and be down there so in 20. 30 tops." She said excited.

" Ok. bye." i said.

" Bye." She said.

I went back in the room and put my arms around Zoe's neck.

" Connor your family is on the way. Are you excited to see them after so long?"

'Yes'

We continued asking him questions and then it got silent. I grabbed his hand and kissed it every so lightly.

" I love you so much Connor." I whispered.

His eyes became bloodshot when his eyes began to fill with tears. He tried blinking them away but it was no use as the fell down his face.

" Connie, know it's hard not being able to talk but if you work hard with the exercises they give you to improve your speech, you'll be talking in no time." I said, wiping his tears.

After a while, the franta family filed into the room, around Connor's bed. Zoe left, saying she wanted to go find Tyler, but I knew she was trying to get me alone with the frantas, this time with Connor awake.