Part 4

A/N: Jenny's roommate, Stephanie, is based off my friend with the same name who passed away earlier this year. She's been on my mind a lot, and it's really therapeutic to write a character based off her. ❤️

"That's great that you've already been invited to a work happy hour your first week! They must really like you."

Stephanie, my roommate, said that to me on Friday morning as I was getting ready for work in my bedroom. She was sitting on my bed as I sat at my vanity.

Stephanie gives herself mental health days every so often- and this Friday, she gave herself one. She has bad anxiety, and sometimes she needs a mental break.

She was still in her pajamas, which were a pale yellow color that looked great against her light brown skin. Her dark, shoulder length curly hair was in a bun, and she still had on a couple of acne patches from the night before- even though she didn't even need them. Her skin was generally very clear.

"I hope so." I said, "Pretty much everyone is nice so far."

I brushed my mascara wand on my lashes that surrounded my blue eyes, lengthening them. My lashes are pale, so I use brown mascara to not make them look more natural.

"Is there anyone cute?" Stephanie asked me, "Asking for a friend. And that friend would be me. I know you're not really about dating at the moment."

"There is, actually. This guy named Tim, he's pretty handsome. Same with Demarcus, though I think he's into my other co-worker, Danielle." I said.

"I'm not about stealing anyone's man." Stephanie said, "So let's just stick with Tim."

I laughed and said, "I'll get to know him more and sort out if he's nice or secretly a douchebag."

"It's always the guys that present themselves as nice first that you have to look out for!" Stephanie laughed as well. She then said, "There's no one that you would be interested in?"

I felt my heart rate pick up.

Stephanie knew that I hooked up with girls in college- including my roommate, our mutual friend McKenzie. But I told her that phase in my life was over.

And it was.

Right?

"Not really." I said, "Plus, getting involved with co-workers is never a good idea. I know from experience."

Stephanie looked down for a moment and said, "I know. But this is your fresh start."

And I'm not going to fuck it up this time.

When I got to work, even though Riley was there, Keely was training me.

"I'm glad you're catching on to this quickly!" she said to me, "You're a fast learner."

"Thank you." I said, "I'm trying."

"I can see you are." Keely said, flashing me a bright smile, "And I was told you're coming to happy hour tonight. That'll be a lot of fun."

"Is everyone going?" I asked Keely.

"I believe everyone but Demarcus- he has his daughter tonight. And Hailey. As our boss, she doesn't think it's appropriate to get drinks with us." Keely explained.

"That's probably smart, actually." I said.

"I agree." Keely nodded, "Okay. Let's get back to the excel spreadsheet here with the accounts."

That's how training was with Keely. She would talk to me about non-work related things for a moment, and then it was right back to business.

Unlike Riley, who made training fun.