Part 34

The month of October proved to be a tough one.

Riley's mom was officially on hospice, and for about a week she stayed at the hospital until she decided she wanted to go home- back to the apartment, and a hospice nurse would come each day.

Riley took FMLA from work. On the days that I went into the office, it was weird without her there. Everyone in the office felt it, her presence was missed.

My main concern was being there for Riley. Riley was the rock that was there for everyone else- and I had to be that for her.

She came over to my apartment as much as she could, when the hospice nurse was at her apartment, taking care of her mom.

I knew Riley was exhausted, and most of the time when she came over, we would stay in the apartment. I would order us food, whether Riley wanted to eat it or not.

One night I ordered us Thai food, and she barely touched it.

"I'm sorry," she said, "When I am extremely anxious, I have a hard time eating, always have."

I didn't point it out of course, but I had noticed that it looked like Riley lost a bit of weight- and I knew it was from stress and anxiety.

"Riley, you don't have to apologize," I said to her, "But have you eaten anything today?"

"About half of a protein bar this morning."

"Riley...I know that taking care of yourself is probably the last thing on your mind right now," I said gently, "But that doesn't mean it's the last thing on mine. Eat something, even if it's just a few bites."

"You're right," Riley said, "I'm not taking care of myself at all. I haven't really been eating or sleeping. I haven't gone to the gym in weeks. I'm just consumed by what is happening to my mom, and it's even worse with her being at the apartment. Plus, I have to deal with Brooklyn being upset and uncomfortable all the time. It's just...so fucked."

"I know it is," I said to Riley, and gave her a kiss on the forehead, "I love you, and I'm here for you. Whatever you need."

"You've been the only thing getting me through this," Riley said, giving me a weak smile.

She wound up eating some of her food, which I was grateful for.

Riley expressed how grateful she was for her mom's hospice nurse, Olivia, and wanted to make a gift basket for her. On October 20th, Riley and I went to Target after I had work that day, and I helped her pick out some goodies for a gift basket for Olivia.

"She's been so helpful, and my mom loves her," Riley said, "She's made these past few weeks as enjoyable as possible for my mom. Which is saying a lot."

I had gone to Riley's apartment once during this and met Olivia. She was a woman in her early thirties, and she was lovely when I met her. She turned the atmosphere from what could have been very depressing, to a welcoming, warm atmosphere with even some laughter.

"Hospice nurses are truly angels," I said to Riley, and then my phone started vibrating in my pocket.

I took out my phone and saw it was my mom calling.

I sighed, "Do you mind if I take this? It's my mom."

"Of course," Riley nodded.

I answered my phone, "Hi, mom."

"Hi honey," my mom said, "Are you home? I'm not too far from your apartment, I figured I could stop by."

"I'm sorry, I'm not home," I said to my mom, "I'm at Target."