Part 5

On Saturday, I decided to go to my parents house for dinner-

Which winds up being a mistake half of the time.

I have a complicated relationship with my parents. They are very conservative, and I am very much not.

It's not like I don't love my parents, and they were never bad parents to me. They showed me love, and always provided for me. However, that love sometimes felt conditional, and like I always had to play by their rules and ideals.

They don't know about my sexuality. And the goal is for them to never know. I've defied them in other ways that they don't approve, but my sexuality is something that I plan on keeping from them forever. There will be no need to tell them. I know that if they found out I have been with women, our relationship would never be the same. I don't even know if they would talk to me.

They're not even very religious. They just feed into Fox News and Republican politicians way too much.

My dad is a Dentist, and my mom didn't work. I think that she gets bored a lot of the time, and clings onto things that give her something to be passionate about. She hasn't been as bored lately though. Since my sister, Brittany, got divorced from her ex-husband, Colton, my mom has been watching my nieces three days a week, which I know she loves. She was a teacher before having kids.

Besides Brittany, I have my older brother, Keith. He is a year older than me, he's 26. Keith is engaged to his fiancé, Kristen. He was a Marine for 6 years, and he now works as a Paramedic. I do love my brother, he's hard-headed like my parents, but he has the caring and non-judgmental aspect they don't have.

It's too bad his fiancé is a bitch. And he also lives two hours away, in bumblefuck Pennsylvania.

My parents live about 40 minutes from my apartment, which is just far enough. I drove to their house, and was fully expecting my sister to be a mess, as she has been for the past 6 months.

Her ex-husband, Colton, is a cop, and he cheated on her with one of his female co-workers, and is now dating her. I haven't gotten along with my sister all the time, but in this case- I do feel bad for her. And she's trying her best. She wasn't working either, and she's had to go back to work as a medical assistant, which I know has been tough for her.

She was in the kitchen when I got to my parents house, sitting at the kitchen counter, her head in her hands and her light blonde hair hanging over her. My mom had her arm around Brittany. I could see my dad in the living room, reading a book to Violet and Carson.

He waved hello to me, and I walked up to my mom and Brittany from the other side of the counter.

Brittany lifted her head from her hands, and gave me a weak smile. Brittany was usually very done up, with her hair, nails, and eyelash extensions. However the past 6 months, she had hardly been keeping up with any of that, or wearing makeup.

"Hey, Britt. How are you?" I asked.

"I've been better." she said, "It's good to see you, Jenny."

I stood around with my mom and Brittany as they commiserated over Colton. Brittany saw a picture of him and his new girlfriend that he cheated on her with on Facebook, and it sent her into a tailspin.

Understandable.

"He sucks." I said to Brittany, "You're better off without him."

"But who is going to want me?" Brittany said, "I'm a divorced mom of two. No man is going to want me."

You don't need a man.

"You don't need to be with anyone." I said, "You're strong on your own."