Part 38

TW: This chapter contains some upsetting content involving homophobia. Please read with caution. 

The group of us walked from the hotel to the main strip of downtown Lancaster where there were restaurants and plenty of bars.

The first bar we went to had plenty of seating, dim lights, and a dance floor that was crowded with people busting their moves to the hip-hop music that was playing.

"Oh, yeah. This is my vibe," Danielle said as we walked in.

"Let me grab you a drink," Riley said to me, "What would you like?"

"I'll keep it simple and have a rum and coke," I said to Riley, "Thank you."

"I'll be back in a few with that," Riley said to me. Her hand was on my shoulder as she spoke.

Her, Demarcus, and Nathan went to grab drinks, and Danielle, Marie, Carmen, Stephanie, and I started dancing to the music.

"You certainly know how to move your hips !" Danielle said to Carmen, impressed with her dancing.

Carmen laughed and said, "Thank you! I've been dancing for years now. I love it."

"It's true," I said, "Carmen was on the dance team back in high school."

Marie said over the music to Carmen, "I want to know what Jenny was like back in high school!"

"Honestly not much different than she is now," Carmen smiled at me, "Maybe quieter. Jenny was pretty shy back in high school."

"You're not wrong," I said to Carmen, "I wasn't in my element back in high school."

"I completely relate," Danielle nodded, "Believe it or not, I was shy back in high school. I didn't flourish until college."

"That's exactly how I was too," Stephanie responded, "I barely spoke to anyone in high school, only a few friends of mine."

As Stephanie finished her sentence, Riley, Demarcus, and Nathan came over with our drinks. Riley handed me mine and said, "For you, birthday girl."

"Thank you," I smiled at Riley, and then took a sip of my drink, "This is strong! They definitely put more rum in than coke."

"My drink is super strong as well," Riley said, "Just how I like it."

Riley then lifted her drink up and said, "To Jenny, and celebrating her birthday!"

I blushed as the group lifted their drinks and repeated Riley, cheering for me.

"Thank you," I said to my friends, "It means a lot to me."

"You mean a lot to me," Riley said, and she then looked like she was going to kiss me, but she held back.

You never know how people are going to be around here. Plus, the further west you go in Pennsylvania, the more conservative it gets.

Though you can find that anywhere. My family is a shining example.

We all decided that we didn't just want to stay in one bar, as there was plenty to explore. After finishing our drinks and dancing for a little longer at the first bar, we went to another.

At the second bar we went to, it was a rock music-themed night.

"This is awesome," Demarcus said as we walked in, "I love rock music."

As the song "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC started playing, Riley smiled, though I noticed it was wistful.

"Are you alright?" I asked her.