Part 28

I knew that I wanted to do something for Riley's 26th birthday. Her birthday landed on a Saturday, and I wanted to try and plan something for us.

Maybe I can plan dinner, and then an overnight stay at a hotel or something?

I wanted to do something that Riley would genuinely enjoy.

I knew that she would say she would enjoy anything, as long as we were together- but I wanted to plan something special.

In the weeks leading up to her birthday, she was getting more and more stressed out from her mom being ill and trying new treatments for her cancer. But as always, she wore a smile.

I admired her strength so much.

I planned for us to go out to dinner at 6 PM, and then hit up an adult arcade that served alcohol, that I knew Riley would love. And of course- I booked a hotel stay.

While Riley's birthday was September 6th, my niece, Violet's birthday, was September 7th. She was going to be 5 years old.

I received a phone call from my mother after work the Wednesday before Riley's birthday. I hadn't spoken to her much since our phone call where she made the comments I didn't love about Riley.

"We're having a birthday party this Saturday for Violet," my mom said on the phone to me, "We'd love for you to be there. It's from 3-7 PM."

"I'll come," I said, "But I have to leave at around 5:30. I have plans."

"Plans more important than Violet's birthday?"

Yes.

I couldn't tell my mom that it was plans with someone I was dating, even if I lied and said it was a man. She would ask too many questions.

"Mom, I made these plans a while ago. It's a perfectly fine compromise, me going to Violet's party for a couple of hours, and then going to my plans I committed to."

My mom sighed, "Okay, fine. Your brother and Kristen will be there. He'll be glad to see you."

"I'll be glad to see him as well," I said.

Not Kristen, though.

I wasn't exactly looking forward to Violet's birthday party- mainly because I would have to see Kristen. Ever since she told me she knew about ym sexuality, I wanted to avoid her like the plague. My family as well.

However, on Saturday, I showed up to my parent's hose, with a gift in hand for Violet. She is obsessed with the movie Frozen, so I got her Elsa and Anna dolls.

Some of my family was there, but it was a lot of kids and their parents from Violet's school. Usually, my safest bet would be to stick with Brittany, but she was busy talking to parents from Violet's class. I looked around to see if by chance, Colton, her ex-husband was there- but he was not.

I texted Riley as I was walking into my parents house that I couldn't wait to see her. I had told her the plans I had made for us- except for the adult arcade. I decided to keep that part a secret.

At Violet's, I talked mostly to my cousin, Gabby. Of course, I gave my brother a big hug, and Kristen kind of a half hug, but I avoided them as much as I could.

I didn't like avoiding my brother. We were always very close growing up, as he is only a year older than me. But Kristen was always around him, and I had to avoid her.

At one point, Keith and Kristen beckoned me over to them. I put on a fake smile and walked over to them where they were standing by the grill.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked them.