Part 10

Jackson was on my mind all weekend.

I had a really nice time with him- and it seemed like it could be a promising chance to possibly have a relationship with a man.

However, right when I walked into work on Monday- that hope washed away.

Because of Riley.

She was standing with Danielle by the door, and they were talking. And she looked damn good.

I wasn't sure if it was how her black pantsuit fit a bit more snug than normal on her body. Or if it was her hair, swept up into a perfect ponytail. Or the fact that she was laughing at something that Danielle was saying and she looked so fucking pretty when she laughed and smiled.

But the hope that I had regarding Jackson was being swept away.

"Jenny! How did your date go?" I heard Danielle call me over to where her and Riley were standing.

I snapped out of my thoughts and walked over to them, Riley's eyes were on me as I made my way over.

"It went well." I said to them, "The food was great at the restaurant. It was a nice time."

"But how did it go with him?" Danielle asked me, "Did you like Jackson?"

I glanced at Riley, who was looking at me.

"He's really sweet." I said, "Yeah...I liked him."

"That's good." Riley nodded, "I figured it went well when I didn't get a message for an escape route."

I looked at Riley, and Danielle laughed, "Wait, what?"

"I promised Jenny that if the date was going bad, she could text me for an escape route." Riley said, "I would've pretended I was having an emergency or something to get her out of the date early."

Danielle put her hand on Riley's shoulder and smiled, "You're a good friend."

Riley smiled back at her, "I try."

Keely was out of the office all week, as she was on vacation in Disney World- and due to this, Riley was going to be in the office every day, and she would be training me.

On Tuesday, Riley said, "Okay. So, this is technically a good thing because Hailey thinks you're doing a great job."

She had a look on her face that told me I might not think whatever she was about to tell me was a good thing.

"What's going on?" I asked Riley.

We were in her cubicle, looking at her computer. My eyes kept going to the picture of her in the soccer uniform every so often.

"Hailey wants you to do a demo on Friday, via Microsoft Teams, with an existing account, for a new product, one of the ones we've been going over. I'll be on the call with you, to help out whenever you need." Riley said, "I just know it can really be nerve-wrecking. But Hailey must think you're doing really well. I wasn't allowed to host a call until 8 weeks in."

I felt my mouth go dry, "This Friday? I mean...I will. But it's a bit terrifying."

"I understand." Riley said, "Completely. But I'll be there with you. If you forget something or don't know the answer to a question, I'll help out. No problem."

I let out a deep breath I didn't realize I was holding, "I've never done a demo before. I didn't have them at my old job. I knew with this job I would have to do them, but I didn't think it would be this soon. Who is the client on the account?"

"Max Tomlinson and some of his office staff." Riley said, "He's a VP, he's my account at the moment, but he will become yours."

"Great. A VP and others." I said, feeling the nerves coming on.