Part 36

Even though I was looking forward to seeing my nieces dressed up for Halloween, I felt apprehensive about going to my parents.

The discomfort that I felt at their home had grown even more since I started dating Riley. I could be my true self everywhere but with my family.

I called Riley as I drove to their home.

"How are you feeling, not too hungover I hope?" I asked her.

"I still feel pretty damn hungover," Riley said, "Tonight is Brooklyn's first night back at work since my mom passed though, and she wants me to come visit her. I'll be sticking strictly to iced tea."

"Good idea," I chuckled, "That's sweet of you to visit her tonight."

"She needs the support," Riley said, "I'm glad to give it to her. How are you feeling about going to your parents right now?"

"Not great, as always," I said back, "At least Kristen won't be there."

"It's a shame, from what you've told me, your brother seems like a really nice guy. Why did he have to go and marry her?"

"Believe me, I ask myself that all the time," I sighed, "He deserves better. But he's stuck now, their baby will be born in December. I just know that after my brother's child is born, my mother is going to start making subtle comments to me about having a kid."

"That might be a bit more difficult than she anticipates," Riley laughed.

"What she doesn't know won't hurt her," I said, with a laugh as well.

There was a pause for a moment, and then Riley asked me, "Do you think that's something you'd want one day?"

"Children?"

"Yes," Riley said back, "Don't get me wrong, I don't want kids now! But it's something I would want one day. Obviously if you didn't feel the same, I would be okay with it. It's something that we would both have to want. Sorry, it might have been weird for me to ask you if you want kids right now considering-"

"Riley," I said, knowing she was babbling because she was nervous, "It's not weird of you to ask. We're dating, it's something to think about one day. The answer to that is yes, I do want kids one day. It's not something I want in the near future, but one day I would. Though I know it won't be the easiest process."

"It's definitely something that we can worry about in the future. But it's great to know that's something you would want as well. You'd be a great mom, Jenny."

I felt myself smile, "You'd be an amazing mom, Riley. No doubt about it."

Riley's comment meant a lot to me. Having kids wasn't something that was ever at the forefront of my mind, even when I was hoping to wind up with a man, but knowing that Riley thought I would be a good mom one day made me feel good.

I could genuinely see myself starting a family with her one day. Not anytime soon...but maybe one day.

When I got to my parent's home, more people were there than expected. A few of my mom's friends were there, and Colton's mom, Wendy, was there as well. Even though her son, Brittany's ex-husband, wasn't there, she and my parents got along well.

My dad gave me a hug when he saw me, "Good to see you. I wish you'd come around more."

I suspect that in the future I may not come around at all.

Violet and Carson looked adorable dressed up as Elsa and Anna from Frozen. My mom's friends thought it was just about the cutest thing in the world, and everyone wouldn't stop snapping photos of them.