Part 21

TW: This chapter does lightly discuss body image issues. 

On Wednesday morning, Riley texted me saying she was going to be late for work. She said she had to go see her mom at the hospital- some possible further treatment options were going to be discussed- and she wanted to be there with her.

When I walked into work, Danielle came right up to me.

"Hey, Jenny!" she said, "I missed you in the office yesterday."

"I missed seeing you as well." I said to Danielle, "How are you?"

She smiled at me and said, "I wanted to plan something for this weekend. I know it's short notice, but would you want to do a little beach trip this coming Saturday to Sunday? I was going to ask Riley and Marie if they wanted to come as well. You can bring friends if you want as too, anyone is welcome."

"I don't have plans." I said, "That sounds great. Are we staying at a hotel, or...?"

"My parents' beach house." Danielle said, "They have a house down in Ocean City. I'm so glad you're going to come! I hope Riley and Marie can as well."

"I hope they can come too." I said.

Especially Riley.

Riley got to work at 10:30 in the morning- and she walked to my cubicle practically right away.

I heard her say "hello" in a cheery tone to Demarcus and Xander when she walked by them, but right when she walked up to me, her expression changed.

To what she was truly feeling.

"How did it go with your mom?" I asked quietly.

"Not the best." Riley said, "Her cancer is growing, and treatment options are limited. But we're going to try something else. A more aggressive treatment. My mom really wants to fight this."

I squeezed Riley's hand gently and said, "I'm sorry. I really, truly hope that this new treatment helps her."

"Even if it can just keep her stable, that's not a bad thing." Riley said, with a sigh.

"Hey! May I interrupt?"

Riley and I turned around to see Danielle behind us.

I wonder if she heard anything. Or saw me squeeze Riley's hand.

"Hey, D. What's up?" Riley asked.

Danielle didn't seem to be bothered, or know that anything was going on.

"I'm planning a girls beach trip this weekend to Ocean City. Jenny already said she would come with, and Marie just texted me that she can as well. I was hoping you would be able to come as well, Riley. Saturday to Sunday." she said.

Riley turned to me and asked, "You're going?"

"I am." I nodded.

"I'm in." Riley said to Danielle.

Danielle smiled, "Great! I'm so excited."

"Are we staying at your parents' beach house?" Riley asked.

"Yep. The one we stayed at last year."

"I'm in." Riley said, "That sounds great."

Danielle gave Riley a bright smile, "Awesome! I'll plan all of the details and start a group chat."

She then walked away and Riley said to me, softly, "Her parents' beach house is huge. It's beautiful, too."

"That makes me look forward to it even more." I said, and then I smiled at Riley, "I'm really glad you're going as well."