Part 37

My 26th birthday landed on a Wednesday, so I had to go into the office for work.

As I drove to work, my mom called me. I hadn't spoken to her since Halloween.

"Happy birthday, Jenny," she said, "Just remember that I love you."

"Thanks, mom," I said, "I love you, too."

"Your father will call you after he works," she said, "I wanted to ask, you're coming for Thanksgiving next week, right?"

"Yes," I said, reluctantly, "I'll be there."

I wonder what Riley is planning on doing? I need to see.

Speaking of Riley, she had called me right at midnight to wish me a happy birthday.

"You're ridiculous," I laughed, "You didn't have to call me right at midnight!"

"I wanted to make certain I was the first one to wish you a happy birthday," Riley said, "Stephanie didn't beat me, did she?"

"No," I said, "She's asleep. You're the first one."

"Goal achieved," Riley said, and she then asked, "How would you feel about maybe going somewhere new this weekend to go out for your birthday?"

"I think that sounds great. Where are you thinking?"

"Lancaster," Riley said, "I know it's mostly Amish country out there. But there is a downtown with some really cool bars and restaurants from what I am seeing. I was thinking we could get a hotel room out there. I was going to invite Danielle and Marie, but only if you wanted me to? I figured you could ask Steph and Carmen if they wanted to come as well."

"That sounds perfect, all of it," I said, "Especially the hotel room part."

"That sounds like the best part to me," Riley chuckled, "Hey, I'll see you at work. I'm sure the office is the exact place you want to be on your birthday, right?"

"As long as you're there, I'm happy," I said back to Riley.

Stephanie had left a really nice card and a jumbo-sized confetti cupcake in the kitchen for me, which I found to be very thoughtful.

When I got to work, there were balloons at my desk, along with a 6 pack of cupcakes, a card signed by everyone on my team, and a generous Amazon gift card.

"Thank you so much guys," I said, "This means a lot to me."

For a split second, I felt like I didn't deserve it all. I still get waves of that at random times- like I don't deserve the good things that happen to me because of my actions at my last job. But I tried to push past it as I smiled at my co-workers and friends.

I was looking forward to that Saturday night when we were going to go to Lancaster. It was going to be me, Riley, Carmen, Stephanie, Danielle, Marie, and Demarcus. He was sitting with us at work when we were talking about it, and I didn't want to leave him out. Marie asked if she could bring Nathan as well, and I told her that of course she could. I asked Stephanie and Carmen if Johnny and Nick wanted to come, however they were both working.

We were able to book rooms at the same hotel. Riley and I were going to be in a room together, and the same with Danielle and Demarcus and Nathan and Marie. Even though Carmen and Stephanie didn't know each other very well, they agreed to share a room.

Lancaster was about an hour and a half away. Riley, Carmen, Stephanie, and I drove up together, and the two other couples each drove up separately to the hotel. Thankfully, Brooklyn was going to come to my apartment and watch Sunshine for the night.