Part 46

I watched as Rebecca's call went to voicemail, and moments later, there was a notification that Rebecca had texted her.

I didn't even know that Riley didn't have her ex blocked.

I sat up in bed, debating whether to wake up Riley or not. It was still early in the morning. But I knew that my mind was going to go crazy if I didn't say anything right away.

I knew that it had to be about us seeing Sara at the New Year's Eve party. This wasn't a coincidence.

Why does she have to reach out to Riley about it though?

I put my hand on Riley's shoulder gently and said, "Hey. Wake up."

Riley is a very light sleeper, so she immediately opened her eyes and said, "Good morning. Is everything okay?"

She must have seen my expression, because she sat up and said, "Things don't look okay. What's going on?"

I sighed, "I wasn't trying to intentionally look at your phone, but it was vibrating and I saw the caller ID. It was Rebecca calling you."

Riley looked pissed right away.

"I don't mind that you saw. In fact, I'd want you to see that," Riley said, "I'm sure she's calling me to go off about the interaction with Sara. I'm not giving into that."

"She texted you as well," I said to Riley, "I didn't read it."

"I wouldn't have cared if you did," Riley said, "I'll read it right now."

Riley grabbed her phone and unlocked it with her passcode, which was my birthday.

She went to her messages, and Rebecca's was at the top.

It said: Heard you saw Sara last night. Give me a call when you can.

Riley rolled her eyes, "Yeah. No. I'm not calling her."

I looked at Riley, "I'm not trying to sound some type of way...but why is she not blocked?"

Riley said back, looking at me, "I never blocked her. I probably should have, honestly. But I never really thought to. Even right after we broke up, I just didn't think it was necessary to block her. I knew we wouldn't talk again, there was no reason to. And since being with you, it hasn't really been a thought in my mind to go ahead and block her. I can definitely do that though. I'll block her right now."

"Riley, you don't have to block her. It's okay."

"No, I'm going to. It was wildly inappropriate for her to call me, especially with her now knowing that I have a girlfriend."

Riley went to her contacts list, typed in Rebecca's name, and blocked her.

"I promise, you didn't have to do that. I don't want you to feel like I pressured you."

"Jenny, you didn't at all. I promise. It's something I should have done a long time ago."

"Okay," I nodded, giving Riley a small smile, "I just wanted to make sure."

Riley put her hand on mine and rubbed her thumb gently over my hand, "I'd do anything for you. Blocking my ex is a very, very easy thing that I can do for you. For us."

I knew Riley meant every word, and I did as well.

As some time passed, Riley and I were relieved that the first few months of the new year were not nearly as eventful as the year prior. I knew that Riley was still grieving her mother, but overall, it felt like we could finally breathe.

I didn't hear from my mom, which was not surprising. My dad called me once to ask how I was doing, and we had a nice conversation, but it was disappointing that he only called me one time between January and March. Part of me missed them, I couldn't help it. But the other part of me felt free, finally, to not be living a lie anymore.