Part 47

Is Riley going to move to Colorado?

Am I going to go there with her?

I don't know if I feel ready to uproot my whole life and move across the country.

But I would do it for Riley...I don't want us to be apart.

"I don't know what the hell to do about this whole Colorado situation."

I said this to Stephanie about a week after I learned about the position Riley was offered with our company in Colorado. Stephanie and I were sitting in our living room, watching TV and eating dinner she had made for us, and I brought up Colorado.

"Has Riley said at all anymore how she is feeling about it?" Stephanie asked me.

I shook my head, "No, she hasn't. She doesn't really seem to want to talk about it. I know it's a really tough decision. For her...and me as well."

"Would Riley not want to leave her sister?"

"I think that's a big part of what could hold her back. Also...I'm not even entirely sure if I would go. It would be completely uprooting my whole life...but then again, Riley is the most important part of my life, and it would be a great way for us to start a new life together," I said, "It's just been on my mind non-stop since she told me about it. I wish she would tell me more about what she's thinking regarding her decision."

"Do you want to know what I think?" Stephanie looked at me.

I nodded, and Stephanie spoke.

"I think that she should take the position. It's a huge promotion. You said she'd be making double what she makes now? That's incredible. And Jenny...I think you should go with her. Believe me, I'll miss you tons. But I think this would be a great opportunity for the both of you."

"You wouldn't be mad if I moved before our lease is up?"

"Of course not. Johnny would move in. You know we've been talking about moving in together, I would just have him live here with me."

"At least that would be settled," I said, "I know it may sound stupid because my parents have been...not good...about me dating Riley. But it almost seems like if I choose to move, that's it for my relationship with them. For good."

"I can imagine it's really tough to think about that, Jenny."

"It is," I sighed, "Very much so. It shouldn't be, considering how they've treated me. But I can't help it. However, I have to think about my future. Riley is my future. Not my parents possibly accepting me."

"I think that Riley needs to try to stop avoiding talking about it." Stephanie said, "It's something that needs to be an open conversation between the both of you."

"You're right," I nodded, "I'll ask her to talk about it tomorrow. We're going to try that new Mediterranean restaurant that just opened in town. I'll see if I can get her to open up. She has to make a decision soon enough."

The next day was Friday, and Riley and I had made a dinner reservation at said restaurant. She picked me up, and I had every intention of staying at her apartment afterward that night. We were at the point now where I had a toothbrush at her place, and I had stolen quite a few of her t-shirts and hoodies as my own.

I wasn't sure when I was going to bring up Colorado during dinner. I decided to see if Riley brought it up at all, but by the time we got to the end of our meal, she hadn't yet.

"All of these desserts look amazing," she said as we looked at the dessert menu over server had just given us, "I think the baklava might be calling my name, but I'll get whatever you want."