Part 49

Everything before moving felt like a blur. Riley and I had a lot to figure out, first and foremost, where exactly we were going to live.

Because of the time crunch we were on when it came to Riley starting her new position, we had to find a home quickly. The thought of finding a place to live and not seeing it before moving in frightened me a bit, but it was what had to be done.

Riley and I were able to find a townhome to rent, 15 minutes away from where we would be working.

Yes, where we would be working. I spoke to Layla, the head of recruiting, who was going to be my new boss. We hit it off quickly, and Hailey gave me a glowing recommendation to her.

As the moving date started approaching, I was getting more and more nervous. I told both Brittany and Keith that I would be moving. They were very happy for me, even though they both said they would miss being able to see me as much as they were able to now. I told them to not tell my parents, that I wanted to tell them the news.

On the night before my last day of work here in Pennsylvania, I called my dad. He sounded surprised when he picked up.

"Hey, J. How are you?" he asked me.

"I'm okay, how are you, dad?"

"Glad to hear from you," he said back, "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to tell you some news. I'm moving."

"Will you still be local?" he asked me.

My heart was pounding as I said, "No. I'm moving to Colorado. Riley got offered a great promotion, and I got offered a position at the Colorado office as well. I just wanted to tell you."

My dad was silent for a moment, and he then said, "I'm really happy for you, J. I think this will be a great opportunity for both you and Riley."

"Thank you," I said back, "Will you tell mom?"

"I will...and I'll try to get her to call you."

"Okay," I said, "Thanks, dad."

"I'll be sure to come out and visit you. Keep me updated on the moving process, okay? I'm here if you need anything."

"Thank you," I said to my dad, grateful for his reaction.

I just wondered if my mom was actually going to call me. Or if I even wanted her to.

Mine and Riley's last day of work was a Friday, as we were going to be starting our move the next Wednesday. We both decided to go in the office for the day, as all of our co-workers were going to take us out for happy hour one last time after work ended. We both didn't do much during the workday, just tied up some loose ends.

As it was now April, it was nice enough for my co-workers and I to walk to McGurk's after work, where we would get happy hour a lot when I first started my job.

Hailey even joined us for a drink, she said that she didn't want to miss out on our last happy hour.

It was a very weird feeling, knowing that this was my last happy hour with my co-workers, most of whom had become my friends.

Danielle, who sat across from me, said, "I love Colorado. Right when you're settled in, Demarcus and I will come visit you."

"That sounds great," I smiled at Danielle.

I knew this wouldn't be the last time I would see them. I would come visit when I came back to Pennsylvania to see my family, friends, and Brooklyn.

Toward the end of happy hour, Riley said to everyone, "It's been a really great few years working with you all. For once in my life, I don't have many words right now. Just know that I'm going to miss you all a whole lot."