Part 31

"What's the furthest place you've been to?" Marie asked me this on the plane ride to Arizona. I was in the window seat, she was sitting in the middle, and Riley was in the aisle seat. Across from us was Danielle, Xander, and Tim. Behind them was Hailey, and the other manager that was on the trip with her sales team.

"I went to Italy with my choir in high school, when I was in 11th grade. I remember it being a fun trip," I said back to Marie.

"I didn't know you can sing!" Marie said to me, excited.

Riley looked over at me and grinned, amused by Marie's excitement.

"I mean, I can...I haven't in a while," I said, feeling a bit bashful.

"Do you play any instruments too?" Marie asked.

"I know how to play the piano."

Riley looked at me, "I had no idea you knew how to play the piano."

"Just like singing, I haven't in a while," I said to Riley, "But I'd play for you sometime, if I can seek out a piano."

"I'd love that," Riley said back.

Marie looked at both of us, and then smiled.

"How about you, Riley?" she asked, "Furthest place you've been to?"

"California," Riley said, "I've never been out of the country. I went a long time ago, when I was like, 12. It was to visit my Aunt, she lives in San Diego. How about you, Marie?"

"Japan is the furthest place I've been to," Marie said, "I have some relatives that still live there."

"You have us both beat," I said to Marie.

The flight seemed to go by faster than I thought it would. Between talking with Marie and Riley, and reading some e-books, the 5 hours didn't seem so long.

The company rented two cars for us to have during our trip, and Danielle drove her, Marie, Riley, and I to the hotel we were staying at. Marie and I went to our hotel room, and she immediately apologized to me.

"I feel bad that you're not sharing a room with Riley," Marie said, unpacking, "If Hailey wasn't on this trip, Danielle and I would have totally shared a room."

"It's okay," I reassured Marie, "I'm glad to share a room with you. I can see Riley at any point."

"Okay," Marie smiled at me, "Just as long as you're fine with it. If you sneak out, or if Riley comes into the room late at night...I will pretend like I didn't see a thing."

I chuckled and said, "Thanks, Marie. You're the best."

Later on that evening, there was going to be a mixer on the rooftop bar of the hotel. Other teams from the company at different locations across the country were there as well, and we would be able to meet them over drinks and food.

I put on a black long sleeved bodysuit, tucked into a shorter gray pencil skirt. We still had to dress more business casual for this event.

Marie got ready as well, and we met Danielle and Riley in the hallway. Their room was across from ours.

Immediately when Riley saw me, she subtly gave me a once over.

I met her gaze and grinned back slightly, just enough for her to see.

As Danielle, Marie, Riley, and I walked up to the rooftop, Danielle said, "Demarcus is having major FOMO right now. Even though I keep reassuring him that he will be at the convention next week and will do all of this as well."

"I think he just wishes he was here with you," Riley said to Danielle.

"I wish he was here, too. I'm annoyed that Hailey didn't put him in this group," Danielle said.