Part 44

The holidays looked different this year.

Every year, I spend the holidays with my family, of course. Growing up, when I was in college, and these few years after college.

My parents would host Christmas Eve dinner, and we would open presents- even as I got older. Now that I had nieces as well, it was even better.

I knew this year, I wasn't going to be spending it with my family. Even though my siblings accepted me, and my dad was trying to as well, my mom was the glue to the family. She made all of the plans and hosted the holidays.

I hadn't spoken to her, and I had no interest in doing so. Part of me couldn't help but to feel angry that she didn't even try to call me. She was the parent in the situation, and the one that was in the wrong. My dad hadn't called me either, even though I would speak with him if he did.

Both of my siblings called me, most importantly because my brother and Kristen had their baby, a girl named May.

Brittany called me multiple times to check on me and see how I was doing. I made plans to go to her house soon, and she even told me to bring Riley with if I wanted to, which I really appreciated.

Not doing anything for the holidays did have me feeling down. Everything that happened in the past couple of months had taken a toll on me, and this was just something else.

I told Stephanie that I was feeling down about not having holiday plans.

"Come to my moms house for Christmas dinner," she said to me, "You and Riley. She and my sisters would love to have you."

"Are you sure?" I asked Stephanie, "I don't want to impose."

"You're never imposing, Jenny," Stephanie reassured me, "I'd be glad to bring you and Riley. Johnny will be coming as well."

"That sounds great," I smiled at Stephanie, "Thank you."

When I told Riley that Stephanie had invited us to her mom's for Christmas, she seemed glad about it.

"I can't tell you the last time I celebrated Christmas, I think that'll be fun," she said to me, "That was really nice of Stephanie to offer."

Stephanie was spending Christmas Eve with Johnny and his family, so I had the apartment to myself for the night. Of course, I invited Riley over.

We ordered food and sat on the couch together. With her arm around me, Riley said, "This is nice. It makes me think of when we get our own place together."

I looked at Riley, "When do you think that'll be?"

"In lesbian world, it's amazing that we've made it 6 months without moving in with each other," Riley joked, "How would you feel about looking at places together toward the spring or summer?"

I smiled at Riley, "I'd love that. Brooklyn would be okay with you moving out?"

Riley nodded, "She's been talking about living with one of her co-workers. It's rough for both of us, being in the apartment where everything happened with my mom. I think we both want out."

"I can imagine," I said to Riley, "I think that looking at places in the springtime would be good."

At that moment, Sunshine jumped on the couch between Riley and I.

Riley looked down at her and laughed, "I'll finally have a cat again! I've missed it."

I chuckled, "Sunshine would love to have another mom."

After months of what felt like darkness, knowing that Riley and I were going to start looking at places together in the Spring really gave me something to look forward to. It felt like a step in the right direction.