Part 16- Riley's POV

When I say that this past year has sucked- I truly mean it.

I moved back to my hometown after breaking up with my girlfriend from college, Rebecca- who I was living with.

Even though I was going back to a familiar place, it was supposed to be a fresh start for me. I was going to be living with my younger sister- who I now finally got along with.

I started my new job, and got promoted quickly. I still don't really know how the fuck that happened, but I guess I am good at my job? I don't really believe it most of the time.

And honestly- I don't really even like my job. But honestly- who really does?

Things were going well for me and my fresh start.

Until my mom got sick.

I hadn't seen my mom in over two years, and then I got a phone call from her saying that she had cancer.

Just like that, my world was turned inside out. She had to move into mine and Brooklyn's apartment because she got kicked out of hers, even though she is at the hospital most of the time receiving treatment.

And now I have to essentially care for someone who never cared for me. I have to spend my time and my energy caring for her. And I know it's the right thing to do, she has stage 3 cancer. Sometimes I feel really bad that I get angry that I have to care for my mom.

Emotionally and mentally, I am a bit of a mess.

My way of coping with anything is usually through humor, however I find it hard to find the humor in this situation.

There are times where it all just feels like too much to handle. It also felt like any brightness that was in my life had dimmed. And usually I'm good about finding the bright side of things.

That was, until May 8th, when Jenny O'Malley started working with me.

I knew who she was in high school. We had some classes together- and I always thought she was very pretty. From her long, auburn hair to her bright blue eyes- yeah, she was attractive. But I never put much thought into it at all. I knew she had a boyfriend, and they seemed pretty serious.

Something was different though, years later. Immediately when I saw her on her first day at work, something ignited inside of me, and I found her to be wildly attractive. I couldn't help but to notice how she was looking at me. I thought it was all in my head- I guess I was wrong about that. I kept telling myself it was all in my head though, that she wouldn't like me.

I saw how she would smile at me. It was always my goal to make her laugh during our trainings. Admittedly, I would ramble around her.

I do that when I get nervous. And she makes me nervous- in the best way possible.

And I would often see her glancing at the photo of me in my soccer uniform.

I still told myself there was no way in hell anything was happening. And the night at the bowling alley I thought confirmed that- when Jenny said she had never dated a girl before. I was bummed, admittedly. Way more bummed out than I wanted to lead on.

Until she told me in the parking lot that she had dated girls before. And that's when I knew there was possibly a chance for me.

She wouldn't have told me that unless it meant something.

I knew that I was bold the night that we kissed- telling her that there would be women who would want to date her, and she should consider them.

I was not expecting her to tell me that she had a crush on me in high school. That blew my mind. I would have never guessed in a million years.

I also knew that was my chance though- and I had to take it.

Since Rebecca and I broke up a little over a year ago, I hadn't felt the spark with anyone. I tried to- with some meaningless flings, but I felt nothing. And I accepted that I likely wouldn't for a long time, if ever.

Until Jenny came along.

I felt that spark immediately.

Right after her first day I called my best friend, Eve, the only person from high school that I still talk to. I got in my car, and immediately called Eve.

I asked her, "Do you remember Jenny O'Malley from high school?"

"I do." Eve responded, "I remember she had pretty hair. Why?"

"She started working at my job. I forgot how pretty she was. And it's probably just all in my head, but I think she was eyeing me up." I said.

"I don't know, Riley...you have a pretty spot on gaydar. But didn't she date Tyler Mulaney during high school, are they still together?" Eve asked me.

"I have no idea, I'll try to find out. I hope they aren't."

"You're really going to go for this, aren't you?" Eve chuckled.

"If I find out she likes women, then yes."

"You have to keep me updated." Eve said, "You sound more excited about her than any other girl recently."

"Oh, I will." I said back, "I have a feeling maybe this could work out."

And just over a month later- Jenny and I were in the place we were now.

I just hoped that I wouldn't fuck this up.

Because I have a habit of doing that.