Part 39

When I opened my eyes, all I could see were bright lights, and two people hovering over me. A younger man and a woman who looked a bit older.

A split second later, all I could feel was pain. Mostly in my face and around my eyes, however, I could feel shooting pain in what felt like my ribcage as well, and I felt short of breath.

"O-ow," was all I could make out. I was extremely out of it, but the pain was increasing by the second, "I-it hurts so much..."

"Honey, you're okay," the woman said to me, "We're taking care of you."

I then heard her say to the younger male, "Give her another milligram of morphine. She's in pain."

As I glanced around and felt movement under me, I realized I was in an ambulance.

Everything started to flood back to me.

"Where's Riley?" I asked. Even though it hurt to talk, I had to know where Riley was.

"She's being taken care of, sweetie. Just try and relax," the woman paramedic said to me.

I closed my eyes again. All I could feel at that moment was crippling pain, yet the only thing on my mind was Riley.

The next couple of hours were a complete blur. As I was given more pain medication, I was floating in and out of consciousness as I was taken to the hospital, and taken back immediately to the emergency room.

I opened my eyes at one point and I saw Danielle and Demarcus standing by my head. I could see that Danielle was crying. I wanted to say something to her so badly, but I wound up closing my eyes again.

Medical professionals were coming in and out of the room, and as I opened my eyes at certain points, they introduced themselves to me.

At one point when I opened my eyes, Danielle was standing right next to me.

"Jenny!" she said when she saw my eyes open, "Oh my god, Jenny."

As I slowly turned my head to Danielle, I could see that Stephanie was standing right next to her.

"Jenny, we're here," Stephanie said, taking a step closer to me, "How are you feeling?"

I was still incredibly out of it as I asked, "Is Riley okay?"

"She's in the next room over," Danielle said. I could just tell in her voice how upset she sounded.

"But is she okay?" I asked Danielle.

"We haven't been in to see her," Stephanie said back gently, "Carmen, Marie, and Nathan are with her. Danielle and I are here with you, along with Demarcus. He just ran to grab some water."

I nodded, and I wanted to speak, but I could also feel myself drift off again from the heavy pain medication that I was on.

The next time I awoke, I didn't feel as completely out of it as I had been hours before. I was in pain. Not as much as when I woke up in the ambulance, but everything hurt- around my nose and eyes the most.

The last thing I remember was a fist flying to my face.

Everything was a complete blur after that.

I need to know how Riley is doing. Now.

I was propped up on the hospital bed, and I started to glance around the room. I wasn't in the emergency room anymore. I was in an actual hospital room. I must have been admitted.

I then heard a voice, "Oh good, you're awake."

I turned to my left to see Carmen, Stephanie, and Danielle. They all looked extremely concerned, and the voice that had just spoken belonged to Carmen.