Part 32

The first full day of the work convention was, well, boring.

It was mostly speeches from leaders in the company that went on way too long. I wasn't sitting next to Riley during the speeches, but when I would glance over at her, I could tell she was bored out of her mind- but was trying to look like she was paying attention.

Once the speeches and a workshop we had to participate in had been completed, it felt like a taste of freedom.

My team decided to go out to dinner together to a saloon style restaurant in Phoenix- Hailey included.

"I know it may seem a little bit weird that I'm here," she said, as we all sat at a round booth that fit the 7 of us, "But I really needed a drink after this day."

Riley laughed and asked, "Even you thought the speeches were that boring?"

"Yes," Hailey laughed, "But you did not hear me say that."

"Hailey, I wanted to bang my head against a wall during those speeches," Riley said, "Saying you thought they were boring is mild."

"I'm sorry, but Riley is right," Danielle said, "Those speeches were more boring than when my dad gets into one of his lectures about money. And those are extremely boring."

"Well, team," Hailey said, raising her prickly pear margarita, "We made it through this boring day"

All of us raised our drinks, and we clinked them together.

"Tomorrow should be better," Hailey said, "It's interactive workshops, not speeches."

"That sounds mildly better," Marie said.

"Emphasis on 'mildly'." Riley said, taking a sip of her mojito.

Hailey laughed, "That's the spirit, Riley!"

After dinner and drinks, Riley, Marie, Danielle, and I decided to walk around the city a bit, as we took one car, and Hailey, Xander, and Tim took another.

As we walked, almost instinctively, Riley put her arm around my waist.

"Aw," Danielle smiled, "You two are the cutest together."

While I loved Riley's hand around my waist, I couldn't help but to glance around nervously.

Are people watching? Will someone say something homophobic to us?

Riley seemed to notice.

She looked at me and asked, "Is everything okay?"

"Of course," I said, "I just still...get nervous. Being affectionate in public."

"I don't think you have much to worry about here," Marie said, "We're in a pretty liberal city."

"If anyone says anything to us, I'll kick their ass," Riley said, "But still- I can move my arm away if it makes you more comfortable. It's completely fine."

"No," I said, "Leave it there. If I am going to be with you, I need to be able to show that in public as well. Plus, it's not like my family is going to pop up out of nowhere."

"That would be absolutely terrifying," Riley laughed.

When we made our way back to the hotel, I had a feeling that Riley and I would be trying to sneak into one of the rooms to be together. I had felt that vibe all night- and to put it bluntly- I wanted her.

"I may ask Riley if she wants to come to the room soon, if you don't mind," I said to Marie.

"I don't mind one bit," Marie said to me, "I was going to go outside and call Nathan soon. I know it's only a few days, but I'm used to seeing him like, everyday."