Part 35

A few days after we let go of Riley's mom's ashes was Halloween. Halloween was on a Sunday night, but on Friday, Danielle called me while we were both working from home.

"I'm throwing a little last-minute Halloween bash tomorrow," she said, "Do you think Riley would want to come? I don't want to be rude and not invite her, of course. But I also don't want her to think I am insensitive inviting her to a party right after her mom passed away."

"I'll ask her what she wants to do," I said to Danielle, "I'll let you know. I apologize in advance if I don't go to your party if Riley doesn't want to."

"No need for an apology," Danielle responded, "Just let me know."

I caught up on a couple of emails and then decided to call Riley and tell her about Danielle's party. She was spending most of the day with her aunt and cousin who had come to visit, but I figured if she wasn't available when I called her, she would call me back when she could.

However, Riley picked up when I called her.

"Hey," she said, "Is everything alright?"

"Just having so much fun working," I said sarcastically, "Danielle called me, though. She is having a Halloween party tomorrow. She wants to invite you of course, but she also said she didn't want you to take offense to her invite, as she wasn't sure if you would be up for it because of your mom."

"I'm up for it," Riley said immediately, "Only Danielle could plan a Halloween party in a day. I'll go, it might help distract my mind a bit. That is if you wanted to go, of course."

"I'd like to go, but I was only going to if you were up for it."

"Then we'll go. Is this a costume party? If so, I'll need to get something."

"It is," I said, "We could always go get costumes together after I work if you're free."

"I'll be finished with my aunt and cousin by 4 PM, I'm free all night. I'll pick you up at 7?"

"Sounds great," I said to Riley, "See you later."

As I was finishing up work, my mom called me.

"You should come over on Halloween," she said to me, "We're taking Violet and Carson out trick-or-treating. They're going to look so cute dressed as Elsa and Anna from Frozen."

"I'll come by," I said, "What time?"

"5 PM. They'll be happy to see you, Jenny. So will your father and I."

Even though I didn't particularly want to go to my parent's house, I wanted to see Violet and Carson dressed up for Halloween.

I wonder if I won't be able to have a relationship with them once I am out to my family?

That would sting.

Riley picked me up exactly at 7. When I got into her car, I immediately kissed her.

"How are you?" I asked her.

She still looked exhausted, and I knew she hadn't slept much at all the past week.

"Okay, all things considered," Riley said, "Let's head over to the mall. What are you thinking for your costume?"

"Would you want to coordinate something together?" I suggested, "Usually every year I dress up as something that goes along with my hair color."

"I know last year you dressed up as Jessica Rabbit," Riley said, "I was practically salivating when you showed me the photos."

I felt myself blush as I said, "I liked dressing up as her. I've also dressed up as The Little Mermaid too many times to count. In my sophomore year of college I dressed up as Pennywise."