Part 41

My parents didn't stay for much longer after I told them about Riley. My mom barely made eye contact with me.

My dad, however, told me that he loved me and to call him if I needed anything. I wasn't going to have any hope though that he would accept me.

Riley and I got discharged from the hospital at around the same time, with me being discharged first. Demarcus got Riley's car keys from her, and he and Danielle went back to the hotel to get Riley's car. Riley wasn't going to be able to drive, so Stephanie was going to us home in Riley's car.

I walked out of the hospital with Stephanie and Carmen.

"Danielle had to park Riley's car a little further away," Stephanie said, "I'm going to go get the car. Jenny and Carmen, you stay here, I'll come pick you up."

"Carmen, go with Steph," I said to her, "If it's a bit of a walk away, I don't want Stephanie to have to go alone. I'll be fine waiting out front here, maybe Riley will walk come out. She texted me that she should be discharged any minute now."

"Are you sure?" Carmen asked me.

I nodded, "Yes. I'll wait out front here."

Stephanie and Carmen walked off together to get the car, and I stood out in front of the hospital. It was quite chilly out, and I was grateful that Danielle had been able to get mine and Riley's bags from the hotel, which contained our jackets.

I was standing outside the hospital, not facing the exit, when I heard footsteps and then my name, "Jenny!"

I turned around to see Riley walking toward me. She wasn't walking too quickly considering her injuries, so I made my way over to her. I could see Marie, Nathan, Danielle, and Demarcus walking behind her.

When we reached each other, she immediately wrapped her arms around me and pulled me in for a hug.

"I love you," she murmured in my ear, "I'm so glad we're going home. Somewhat in one piece."

"I love you too, Riley," I said back to her, not wanting to let go of her. I made sure to hold her gently not to aggravate any of her injuries.

"I never want to let go of you," she said to me.

We stood there for a few more moments, embracing each other. I could hear Riley's heartbeat against mine.

Reluctantly, we pulled away as I saw Stephanie pulling up to the front of the hospital with Riley's car.

Danielle, Demarcus, Nathan, and Marie all hugged us goodbye.

"If you need anything, and I mean anything, do not hesitate to call me," Danielle said to Riley and I, "Are you going to call Hailey and tell her what happened?"

"Fuck, I didn't even think about that," Riley said, "We have work tomorrow. Yes, I'll call Hailey in the car."

"Okay," Danielle said, giving us each another hug, "Get home safe."

Riley and I got in the backseat of her car, with Carmen in the passenger seat and Stephanie driving.

"Alright," Riley said, "I'm going to give Hailey a call and tell her what happened."

"You can tell her...about us," I said to Riley, suddenly concerned that Hailey would have not the greatest reaction to Riley and me dating. Partially because we're co-workers, and now due to fear that she was secretly homophobic.

"Okay," Riley said, and as if she could sense my concern, she said gently, "Jenny, Hailey isn't going to care. She has a sister that's married to a woman."