Part 12

I was going to be happy to see Keith- but I wasn't going to be happy to see Kristen.

Kristen has always been a drama starter. She likes to drive wedges in between people. Both my sister and I don't like her very much. She has told both Brittany and I on separate occasions that we've said bad things about each other- when we haven't.

She's also just not even very nice usually. She makes snide comments about anyone and everyone she is around, and just has this air about her where she thinks she is better than everyone else.

The only one she is remotely nice to sometimes is my mom- because she wants to get on her good side and have my mom defend her to my sister and I.

That is something that Brittany and I can bond over- our dislike for our sister-in-law.

I'm not quite sure what my brother sees in Kristen. From what I've seen, she can even sometimes be testy with him. But he loves her. And that's something we've all had to accept.

I've always wondered why Kristen is the way she is- especially after being with my brother for a few years now.

I made sure to get Keith a gift- I purchased a $100 gift card for his favorite store, Cabela's. When I got to my parents house, everyone was there already- including my mom's sister, my Aunt Holly, along with her husband, my Uncle Paul, and my cousin, Gabby, who is 19.

My dad and Keith were going to be grilling some steaks, chicken, shrimp, and vegetables on the BBQ, and my mom made some sides along with it.

When I got to my parents house, they were all in the backyard.

Brittany came up to me immediately, along with Violet and Carson.

"Hi, girls." I said, leaning down and giving Violet and Carson a hug, "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too, Aunt Jenny!" Violet said, giving me a smile.

I stood up and Brittany leaned in and said to me, "Kristen is already miserable."

"Oh, great." I rolled my eyes.

I said hello to everyone else, and when Keith saw me, he put down the tongs he was using to grill and gave me a big, bear hug.

Keith is a tall, husky guy with blonde hair and green eyes. He had on a black t-shirt, cargo shorts, and camo hat.

"Jenny!" Keith said, "I'm so glad to see you."

"I'm so glad to see you too, Keith." I said, giving him a hug back.

Kristen was talking to my mom and my Aunt Holly- and she gave me a nonchalant wave. She was wearing a yellow sundress against her tanned skin. Her dark brown hair was down and wavy.

Eventually, my cousin Gabby, who is a really sweet girl in school to be a nurse, came up to Brittany and I and started talking to us, until Keith and my dad said, "Food is ready!"

We all grabbed a paper plate and filled our plates with food. I made sure to grab some shrimp and vegetables as well as a couple of sides my mom made. My parents backyard is quite spacious- and right outside of the door from the kitchen that leads to the backyard, there are two tables along with chairs that people can sit at.

I sat next to Brittany and Gabby. Gabby goes to school in Pittsburgh, but she was home for the summer.

As we ate, Keith and Kristen stood up.

"Everyone! We have an announcement to make." Kristen said, as we all went quiet.

"She better not be pregnant." Brittany mumbled to me.