i. just a girl

chapter one
JUST A GIRL

tw: sexism, abuse & racism

1855 , MYSTIC FALLS

She was only ever just a girl. Born with an innocent heart; cursed with a girlish instinct. A girl who danced beside the lake behind their house, chased her younger brothers threw the maze out the front with her vibrant coloured dress flowing behind her, the most gorgeous smile caught on her lips and long dark brown hair with a perfect crinkle, twisting and turning with her every move, tossing about as she turned her head and down her back when she tilted her head up towards the beautiful blue sky. 

Mystic Falls was always her home, the place she wanted to always go back to when times got hard; to run back into the warm and protective embrace of her brothers as they tried to keep her from harm. 

Mystic Falls is a sweet village in the state of Virginia, it's a three hour and twenty-five minute carriage ride from the capital of the country, it's population is a little under three thousand. The village was filled with many winding pathways and buildings, colourful and glum. They were different jumbles of styles, old and rickey, new and sturdy; one of those buildings was the Salvatore household, tucked neatly away in the corner of the village. The Salvatore household is notoriously known for being the most beautiful house in the entire village, you can see all away across the village from the roof, study the outline of the village centre where it buzzes with life, see the crimes in the dark alleys, spot the children running about. 

One of the those children was a little girl with chocolate brown hair and gorgeous hazelnut eyes that were always big with wonder. What separated her from her brothers, was her wonder-filled brown eyes. Brown is considered an ugly colour, it was never captivating; unlike Stefan and Damon's beautiful blue and green eyes that had every girl in the village swooning under their gaze. When one stared into her eyes, they were pulled in, they wanted to know more about her and felt a warmth in their chests. 

At only a few days old, that girl was hit for the first time; for crying too much. And from there on out, she never saw a day without a beating - a punch to the gut, a boot to the knee, a splatter of spit on her face or the pain of washing her own blood out of her gorgeous clothes so the maids would never know how he treated her.