iii. marley

chapter three
MARLEY

tw: miscarriage, abuse & sexism

1857, MYSTIC FALLS

Five years. 

It's been two years since she almost got to see Stefan and Damon, five since she actually saw them. They're so old now. Stefan is twelve, Damon is twenty and apparently he's going off to war, although he isn't married yet. 

It's also been two years since Clara had her first miscarriage, Dr. Alfer told her that she was a little way along when she passed out and was ordered two weeks of bed rest to let her blood regenerate and stuff. She wasn't really listening, the fact she was pregnant and she didn't even know it was a complete and utter freeze in your spot sort of topic. 

Albert hadn't been very happy that she lost their first child, so he kept trying with her... not that she wanted to have a child but she couldn't say no, could she? Men still payed to watch her spread her legs for her husband, they even paid a little more to get to do that themselves. Clara hated getting used, but there wasn't a way she could push them away, tell them no because her word was nothing compared to them. 

They're so strong, so forceful with her, chucking her around like she's some doll whilst Albert just watched. He tells them off for being a little too rough, but Clara doesn't pay much attention 

The only way she can get out of that situation is to go back to some happy memories, dancing in the meadow out behind their house, playing chase with her brothers in the hedges beside the house, twirling in the snow and just having a laugh. They don't like it when she shuts her eyes, so she doesn't, and just blankly stares at the pillows moving up and down, ignoring the disgusting noises behind her and the sharp sting to her behind whenever they leave their hand print in her pale skin. 

"Clara." Albert calls for her in the family room, she walks down the halls to find him sat in his arm chair smoking a cigar, "Morning, darling." He smirks, she can smell the alcohol in his breath, it makes her want to gag. "I've decided that you and Estella will go into the village square today, you'll purchase a lovely dress for the ball tonight. Stefan and Damon will be there with your father."